Memories Over a Picnic

It's a week after me and James spent the evening at Yo Sushi and we had stayed in most days except one day when we went to the cinema. I spoke to Milly and Tilly on Skype as well. The two of them were missing their boyfriends like crazy but they did say they missed me, pfft, yeah right! Everyday I had been thinking about what James asked me "would you tell me about your past?" I need to but how can I, just thinking about it makes me tremble with fear. I should tell him in pieces, maybe that'll be easier.

After contemplating how I was going to tell James I dragged myself off of my bed, pulled my dressing gown on and wandered into the kitchen where my dad was sat eating his breakfast. I hardly see my dad either I'm with the boys or he's at work.

"Morning dad!" I said to him as I kissed him on his cheek. He looks exhausted and I can't blame him he's working his butt off to pay for this apartment!

"Morning sweetie! Are you going to sit with me today?" He asked hopeful that I would, I think he misses his daddy daughter days! I nodded and poured my cereal and milk in a bowl before joining him on a stool.

"Are you at work today?"

"No I've got the day off. Are you going out with James or are you staying in?"

"I'll stay in I think unless us two go out and do something?"

"Delilah you're full of good ideas." My dad wrapped his arm round me and pulled me into a hug before kissing my temple. "So where shall we go?"

"How about we go have a picnic like we used to do when I was just this high?" I asked him gesturing to my height when I was 6. He smiled but his expression soon turned to sorrow.

"Your mum loved those kind of days." he dropped his spoon and looked up taking deeper breathes.

"We don't have to if you don't want?"

He took a while to reply but I know losing mum was the hardest for him because he had known mum since he was just 4 years old. The two of them started dating at 17 years old and my mum passed away when I was 14. She was 40 when she passed away and my dad was 41. Three years hasn't been long enough for my dad to move on and I can't blame him, he spent 34 years of his life with her by his side.

"No, let's go have a picnic I'll pack the basket seeing as I'm dressed." he got up and washed up our bowls. I went into my room and had a shower before putting my short dungarees, The Kooks old band T-shirt and midnight blue docs on.

When I returned to the kitchen dad has packed my favourite sandwiches, smoked salmon and goats cheese. The basket was full of everything that I remember we used to have when we went for a picnic, the only thing missing was the food mum would've had.

"I'm going to go tell the boys that I'm going out. I'll be back in a minute!" I said to my dad as I left the apartment. I knocked on the boys' door and Tris answered today.

"Delilah, hey!" he said he was a lot happier today maybe he's spoken to Tilly.

"Hey Tris, I'm going out with my dad today tell James to get to the gym because he won't be able to go tomorrow!" I said to him trying to be stern but I ended up laughing at the end.

"Okay, I will. You two have fun!" he pulled me into a hug then out me down. He then did a creepy wave, which I returned, as he shut the door. I walked back into my apartment and my dad was stood basket in one hand and the car keys in the other. I took a handle of the basket seeing that he was struggling with it.

When we arrived at the park we lay the mat out and placed the basket on it before sitting down and starting to eat.

"Mmm, dad this is delicious!" I said my mouth half full.