Grandpa

Delilah's P.O.V

Ding dong

"I'll get it!" I yell to my dad who's in the kitchen making lunch as I run to the front door. I open the door to see one of my favourite people in the world, my nan! ""Hi nan." I say to her as she hugs me tightly.

"Hello my dear. Oh how I've missed you!" She says through the hug. I always saw my nan as being one of the more crazy nans than the typical deaf boring ones who sit I'm the corner and knit.

"I missed you too! How've you been?"

"Oh I've been fine, but I hear you've had some boy trouble deary?"

"Yes, I'm afraid so..."

"Oh no worries they're all trouble, your father was too."

"What're you two saying about me?" My dad asks as he walks over to nan and hugs her before gesturing through to the lounge where we all sit down. "All good I hope."

"Of course son." Nan replies winking at me as I giggle slightly. "And how are you?"

"I'm good thanks mum." My dad answers. "Thanks for looking after the house but you could've dusted a bit more."

"I dusted Delilah's room. You know I didn't like that woman you once put up with and I'm not going to clean up her mess."

"Yes, I know."

"Does anyone want a cup of tea or coffee?" I asked sensing the tense atmosphere between the two.

"Oh a cup of tea would be lovely dear." My nan smiles at me.

"Same for me please De." My dad answers sheepishly.

I go into the kitchen and put the kettle on after filling it with water. Quietly I sit on the counter top and listen to my nan and dad discuss something that sounds private or not to be heard by my ears, meaning it's probably about mum or James. The kettle starts to boil before the button presses up and I share the water between three cups. Once it's brewed I put two sugars in each cup and stir them before putting them on a tray and carrying them through to the lounge where the talking stops dead and the room becomes silent, well that wasn't obvious.

"Thank you dear." My nan beams at me before I hand my dad his mug and then sit down with my own cup of tea. "Ooo this is perfect!"

"I try my best, it's one of the very few talents I possess!" I joke and my nan chuckles.

"Don't be silly dear, you have many talents, why you can paint and draw, and don't forget that wonderful singing voice your grandpa used to love!" Although I love my nan she sure is forgetful and quite often says the wrong things.

"...yeah..."

"Oh no I've done it again, Delilah I'm so sorry it slipped my mind."

"It's fine, I mean it was my decision to stop." The room fills with an awful silence which to me is deafening and I find my hand starts to shake before I put the mug down and sit staring at it for a moment. "I think I'll go up to my room." I stand up and practically run up to my room where I shut the door and hunch over, lean against the wall and start gasping for breath. Who am I kidding I didn't want to stop I had to, I thought as I looked back at that day after I'd been busking, his wicked yellow smile flashing in my mind as he reached for my top. Before I begin to sob I look up at the picture of my grandpa and I smile. He always supported me and he was my biggest fan through and through. His passing really hit home for me because he was helping me through my life with an abusive mother. He passed a week after I smashed my mirror and I remember sitting in front of that smashed mirror and weeping for him to be back here with me. At ten I didn't know whether I believed in heaven and hell but now I know they don't exist and that he lives on in the memories of people around him. That's the reason I smile when I see his picture because the memories of those of him.

"De, are you okay dear?" My nan says as she opens my door. I look at her and nod. "That's a great picture of the two of you together!"

"Yeah it's my favourite one." I say to her as she puts her hand on my shoulder as I kneel in front of the picture. " Do you think he's proud of me?"

"Of course he is, and don't you ever think otherwise!" my nan said to me as I look up at her aged face. I stand up and hug her as we share this moment before she pulls away and looks me in the eye. "Now missy I have to go but I'm sure it won't be long until I see you again." she kisses me on the forehead and goes back downstairs where I hear her say goodbye to my dad.

I then sit on the window sill and watch as she drives off in her little rust bucket of a car. Sometimes I worry about her being on her own over there in her little cottage but I know that if I haven't seen her in a week I should go check in her. I then turn the tele on and watch all of The Inbetweeners. The only time I go downstairs is for tea then I'm straight back upstairs and watching tele again.

At ten I decide I'm going to sleep so I turn the tele off and brush my teeth in my en suite before crawling into bed and snuggling my duvet. Eventually I doze off into a restless slumber filled with unpleasant dreams about the past. I don't remember them in the morning but I wake up in a cold sweat and shivers running up my spine...

---------------------------------------------

HEY YOU GUYS!!! This chapters kinda a filler but it's also adding information about Delilah however I am thinking of doing a Trillan (Tristan and Tilly) or a Madley (Milky and Bradley) chapter just to change it up so be expecting one I each soon! Thanks guys for everything it means a lot seriously!

Thanks again, Fin!😘