Chapter 3

A/N btw they live in the new avengers house base that's in the end of avengers age of ultron. They have a separate quarters to themselves with Tony's lab and rooms it like a tiny house and it's got a elevator to their living room that's the only way in or out of their quarters .

Today was the day . The day that Tony and Steve were dreading. Today Fury would be taking the twins away for a whole week of testing on them and their DNA. Steve hated it the most because he had a routine with the twins and he was so protective of them that he didn't like anyone to touch his babies so losing them for a week to strangers was driving him crazy. Tony was trying to keep Steve calm but it just wasn't happening. It was already 3 in the afternoon and Fury was coming to get the twins in an hour . The only good part was Natasha would be with the twins during testing, but she was only there for safety reasons. Steve held his babies as long as he could but he needed to pump one last time so they would have a bottle for every day . He had been pumping for the entire weekend and these would last the twins all through the week . He needed to check and make sure they had everything before he had to let them go . Tony was sitting in the living room with the twins while Steve was packing up the rest of their stuff . Tony looked at them both sleeping peacefully in his arms . He noticed how peter had Steve's lips and Steve's facial structure but peter had Tony's nose and hair . Then he looked to Maddie who had his facial structure by also mixed with Steve's facial structure. She had Tony's eye shape but she had Steve's nose and his lips too . She had Tony's hair color but the softness of Steve's hair . They were both truly the perfect mix of Tony and Steve . Steve then came in the room breaking Tony out of his trance. "What are you doing ?" Steve asked. "I'm just looking at their features while they are sleeping and you know what , they are the perfect mix of us " Tony said . Steve said " How so ?" . Tony then explained and Steve saw it all and it only made him sadder that they were leaving for an entire week. Steve gently picked up the twins to feed them from him for the last time for a week. He got started feeding them when the bell on the elevator rang signaling that someone was coming in . Natasha stepped through the elevator with Fury and two other agents with him . " Hello Steve how are you doing?" Natasha asked. " I'm fine thank you " Steve said . "Oh my look at how big these two have gotten since the last time I saw them " she said walking over to Steve and the twins. She sat down beside Steve to see them . "Captain Rogers once you are done with feeding them you need to hand them to agent Romanoff so we can leave and get this whole thing over quickly" Fury said . " Alright I will but I have to burp them and put their shoes and mittens on them " Steve said sadly. He looked utterly destroyed and Natasha could see how much he hated this . " Director Fury does it really take a week or could we get doctor banner to do the testing and make it 3 days long ?" Natasha asked . " I guess we could do that but we are gonna have to call in banner and tell him the news " Fury said annoyed. " thank you nat " Steve said smiling at her . "No problem Steve , I could see how much this was tearing you apart and I couldn't let my teammate and friend suffer like how you were " Natasha said . Tony came in with a drink in hand and Steve told him the good news . Tony was so happy to know that Bruce was going to do the testing since Bruce was his best friend so he trusted him with doing tests on his kids . Tony and Steve put the mittens and shoes on the twins and they strapped them in their baby carriers . Natasha and Fury each took one of the carriers and Steve started to tear up . He kneeled down to the carriers and kissed each twin on the head " goodbye sweethearts we will see you in a couple days , be good for aunt Natasha and uncle Bruce " Steve said holding back his tears . " Tony did the same , he kissed them on the head and then they left . The other 2 agents had grabbed the milk Steve pumped for the twins and the twins little bags with diapers and clothes and stuff like that inside. Once the were gone Steve cried . He collapsed on the couch and started crying because he already missed his babies. They were so tiny and needed him to protect them and he just let them go to some lab for people to run tests on them . Tony knew there was nothing he could do for now so he kissed Steve on the cheek and went back down stairs to his lab , but not before telling Jarvis to keep him updated on Steve . Steve fell asleep 10 minutes after Tony had went down stairs. He slept through the entire day and eventually woke up to Tony snoring beside him on the couch . He smiled and ran a hand through Tony's hair . Tony stirred a bit but stayed asleep. He kept running his fingers through Tony's hair and thought about what the twins were doing right now and if they were okay . He realized if he didn't stop worrying about them then he would never get anything done. He turned on the tv and Tony woke up . " Hey sleeping beauty , you sleep well ?" Tony asked Steve . " Mhmm I slept fine , what about you ?" Steve asked . " I only fell asleep like an hour ago so it was okay, anyways now that the kids are gone wanna do something or go on a date or anything?" Tony asked hopeful. " We can do whatever you want I don't care " Steve said in a monotone voice. " Alright listen ; I know your upset about this whole situation but it's only for three days and besides if your having trouble letting go now then imagine what it will be like when they go to college or if they have powers what it'll be like when they have to go on missions without us " Tony said trying to snap Steve out of his sad state he was in . " they don't have powers Tony that's why I'm so upset is because I know they are normal and this whole testing thing is a waste " Steve said . " okay well your probably right but they are safe .They are with Natasha ,who you know would never let anyone who she didn't trust near them, and Bruce is doing all the tests on them and we trust him ,so let's just go out to dinner and have a night to ourselves , okay ? " Tony said . Steve nodded his head and got up to go get dressed for dinner . Steve went and dressed in a pair of jeans and his favorite white T-shirt he looked in the mirror and frowned . He had a tiny bit of baby fat left but his abs were coming back . The thing that bothered him was that he on his belly the stretch marks were still there . Even though he was getting back to what he looked like before the babies those ugly stretch marks remained. He put his shirt down and went to grab his shoes . The thing he didn't know was that Tony saw everything. He saw how Steve looked at himself and how he looked disgusted with his appearance. Tony knew he needed to cheer Steve up and get him back to the way he once was . Tony thought back to when Steve was always happy and smiling and now he's always tired and sad . Tony walked in the bedroom and hugged Steve . Steve was still tying his shoes so he was startled by the hug but then relaxed in Tony's hold . " You are the most beautiful person I have ever known , inside and out, so don't ever think you aren't perfect " Tony said still hugging Steve . Steve only sighed and nodded. " Good now lets go out to eat and when we come back we can do whatever you want " Tony said smiling. Steve looked up and smiled and said "Thank you Tony " . Tony replied by kissing him gently on the lips . They then left to eat and came back and had the best night with each other in a long time.