28

Kay has been successfully hiding in Kimberly's dorm for a few months now. But it was getting harder, word had got around that an undocumented child had been living at the university. Kay had to leave and fast, but she has nowhere to go.

Kimberly couldn't afford to rent an ampartment in the vicinity where Kay would be more than welcome, so there was only one option left.

Dad.

They've been talking for some time and their relationship has grown but Kay doesn't feel comfortable living with the man.He had moved on from his life with them and she didn't want to bring him back into it.

But for some reason, he thought differrntly. He had been begging Kay to visit his home but she declined many times. Jonathan just wanted the connection with his daughter that he was robbed off since her childhood. He never believed he would see them again and know that he did, he doesn't want to lose them.

However, after much turmoil and frustration, he convinced her. She was hesitant to relent but she could see he wouldn't give up. So, what was one go?

Kimberly's car turned steadily into the perfectly paved driveway. She and Kay looked up at the most elaborate house they've ever seen.

White coloumns accentuated by the teal tapestry. KThe house stood tall, it looked like at least five stories. "That's a big ass house he got there," Kimberly chuckled to herself, a dry, lifeless chuckle.

Before they could fully come from the car, her father appeared from the well furnished doors. "Welcome," he greeted cheerfully, hugging them both. "I'm happy you finally came,"

..........

The house tour had been going on for hours now. Kay was tired, miserable and hungry. But most of all, she wondered 'what was the point anyway?'

So she asked him and he answered confidently,"This is where you will live pretty soon,"

You were immediately confused,"Isn't there, like, a restraining order and isn't mom gonna be pissed?"

"That's why I'm planning to get custody," he spoke heavily, walking down the stairs, hinting for us to follow. "But, lets keep that hush hush,"

He stopped working as he finally reached the kitchen. I momentarily looked to Kim for confirmation, she simply nodded her head with a small smile.

"So you live here.....all by yourself? In this big place," Kimberly spoke up, for the first time since we stepped inside.

"Actually, no, I have married and I had a little son. And. I was just going to ask them to join us since it's dinner time," he smiled from ear to ear, his eyes wrinkling at their corners. He invited us to sit, pulling out the chairs for us.

Out of nowhere, a beautiful young woman and a small baby boy walked into the dining area of the kitchen. The woman seemed to be kissed by the sun, her dark skin lit under the kitchen lighting. She wore normal light blue jeans and a brigt pink sweater, both  cling to her curves in the right ways.

The boy, who was a little lighter than the mother, entered with a tiny stuffed bunny held tightly in his small hands. "Hi Dada," he babbled cutely, climbing into his seat.

Both Dad and the woman sat at the ends and everyone else in between. They laughed and talked while eating, even when Mom was normal, they never did this. I guess it affects everyone when a toxic relationship exists.

Jealousy built up in my heart, rushing in like water built up after a dam has broken. Mom could never.