Prologue

Outside of Molly's, Halstead looks at Shaylynn, "Kelly thinks you're going home with me!"
"And?" Shaylynn says.
"You want him thinking that?" Halstead asks her.
She looks at him, "Jay, as of right now I don't care what he thinks! If he thinks I'm going home with you the same day after he walks out on me and after the news I received, then he really doesn't know me! I have to go and pick up Shannara. Thanks for the invite! It was nice while it lasted!"
Halstead smiles at her, "Anytime!"
They both walk off in opposite directions.

Over the next couple of days, Shaylynn has multiple appointments with a lawyer to find out if she has a case to block Shannara's biological father.

Another week goes by.
Walking out of the courthouse, Shaylynn's phone rings.....
"Hello"
"Shaylynn, we need to talk" she hears Severide say.
It's been over a week since she's talked to him, "Yes, we need to talk" she tells him.
"Can you meet me by the winery at the Riverwalk?" he asks her.
"What time?" she asks.
"Around nine?" Severide questions.
"I think I can make it," Shaylynn tells him.
Severide can tell by her voice that she doesn't sound well, "Shaylynn, are you okay?"
"Kelly, I can't talk right now! I'll see you later tonight!" she tells him hanging up.
She turns off the ringer, puts her phone in her bag, and walks off to her SUV.
Reaching her SUV, she gets in.
After fastening her seatbelt, she lays her head on the steering wheel and starts crying.