Chapter 12 "Dark Place"

Both Dean and Sam draw their guns, pointing them at the man.
The man laughs, "I wouldn't do that! You shoot me, I fall and take her with me!" he tells them.
Sam looks to his side and sees a woman laying with a bullet wound to her head.
"There's no way out of this!" Dean tells the man, "Just let her go and I'll see what I can do!"
The man laughs again, "You must think I'm stupid! I let her go and then someone shoots me! Not going to happen!"
"Shaylynn?!" Dean yells out to her.
She doesn't respond, she has gone to her dark place. Being in this situation has brought back memories of being captured over in the Middle East.
"Don't talk to her!" the man yells at Dean.
Dean and Sam hear talking in their earpieces. A lot of lights start lighting up the darkening street below.
The man looks down to see a lot of Police Cruisers, Fire Trucks, and other cars.

~~~~~~

On the street below the Intelligence Unit pulls up.
Hank and the others get out of their vehicles. He sees Sam and walks over to her.
"The guy has ahold of Shaylynn!" Sam tells him.
"How do you know that's Shaylynn?" Hank asks.
"I've been in contact with Dean! He and Sam are up on the roof right now!" Sam says.
Hank gives Sam a look. He walks away back over to where the rest of the Unit is.
More Fire Trucks come to the scene.
Getting out of Squad, Severide sees Sam and runs over to her with the rest of Squad hot on his heels.
"What's going on?" he asks her.
Sam looks to her side to see Severide standing there, she's not sure if she should tell him or not.
"Sam?!" Severide says.
"The man on the ledge has a hold of Shaylynn," she tells him.
Severide looks at Sam with a blank stare. He then looks up at the man and Shaylynn. 

~~~~~~

~~~~~~

"How do you think you're going to get out of this?" Dean asks the man.
"You two are going to step to the side, she and I are going to walk down the stairs and get away from here!" the man tells him.
"She's not going anywhere!" Dean tells the man.
A shot rings out....
The man falls onto to the rooftop, Shaylynn falling with him.
Dean and Sam run over to them. Sam bends down to see if the man has a pulse, while Dean grabs onto Shaylynn to see if she's alright.
"Look in his pockets and see if he has the keys to the handcuffs!" Dean tells Sam.
Sam starts searching the man's pockets, finds the keys, and hands them to Dean.
Dean takes the handcuffs off, "Shaylynn! Can you hear me?" Dean asks her.
Shaylynn just stares at him.
"Get some paramedics up here!" Dean yells into his radio.

~~~~~~

"Where did that shot come from?" Sam yells out.
Hank comes walking over to her, "I gave Jay the order to take the guy out!" he tells her.
Sam gives Hank a pretty pissed off glare, "On whose authority? Oh yeah, it would've been mine, but I didn't give it to you!"
Hank stares at Sam, "The man has been taken out! Why don't you go see how your sister is!" he says, then walks away.
If looks could burn a hole in the back of someone's head, Hank would have a huge hole in the back of his.
Sam turns around and sees Brett and Dawson running into the building, she follows them inside.

Once Brett and Dawson reach the rooftop, they run over to Shaylynn.
"Shaylynn, can you hear me?" Dawson asks her, "Shaylynn!" she yells.
"What's wrong with her?" Brett asks.
"I'm not sure! She acts like she's not here! This might have something to do with her PTSD!" Dawson says.
"Let's get her down to the ambulance!" Brett says as Sam comes out onto the rooftop.
She sees Shaylynn just sitting there looking off into space and runs over to her.
"Shaylynn, can you hear me?" Sam asks, "Shaylynn, say something!" Sam says putting her hands on each side of Shaylynn's face.
"Sam, we have to get her to the ambulance!" Dawson tells her.
Sam shakes her head as she stands up.
Dean and Sam help get Shaylynn up, "Put her on the stair chair," Brett tells them.
They put her on the stair chair and start taking her through the door into the stairwell.
"What are you doing?" Dawson asks them.
"We'll take her down for you!" Sam tells her.
"What about him?" Dean asks taking about the guy laying on the roof.
Sam walks over to him and can't believe her eyes.

~~~~~~

Back down on the street, Halstead walks over to the car and puts his long gun away.
Hank walks over to him, "Good job!" he says patting Halstead on the back.
Hank turns around and sees Sam walking out of the building and she's walking toward him.
Severide also sees Sam and runs over to where she's going.
"Where's Shaylynn?" Hank asks her.
"They're coming! I wanted to get down here before them!" she tells him.
"Did you see the guy?" Hank asks her.
"Yes," Sam says giving him a look.
"And? You're acting like you know him!" Hank says.
"The guy was Austin!" Sam tells him.
Halstead gets a huge grin on his face. Sam walks away with Hank following her.
"I was able to do something you weren't able to! Protect Shaylynn and take Austin out!" Halstead says to Severide.
Severide gets a pissed off look on his face, grabs onto Halstead and pushes him back against the car.
The rest of Squad 3 and the Intelligence Unit run over to them.
"Break it up!" Alvin yells at them as Atwater and Capp get between them.
"Kelly!" Sam yells at him.
He looks over at her and sees Dean and Sam bringing Shaylynn out.
Brett and Dawson run over to the ambulance to get the gurney ready.
Severide looks at Halstead, "We're not through!" he tells him and takes off running over to the ambulance.
Dean and Sam are putting Shaylynn on the gurney when Severide gets over there. He sees the look on her face.
"She's gone to her dark place!" Severide says.
"She's gone where?" Dean asks him.
"Her dark place. Something major happened up there for her to go there!" Severide says.
"Shaylynn, can you hear me?" Severide asks her.
"The paramedics and another woman already tried that!" Dean tells him.
Severide looks at Dean, then back to Shaylynn, "Baby, can you hear me? Talk to me, Babe!"
Dawson looks at Severide, "Kelly, I think this might be the time she doesn't come back."
Severide shoots Dawson a glare, "Come on baby, talk to me!" he tells Shaylynn.
Sam wipes her eyes, "Kelly, we have to face the facts whatever Austin did up there to her before Dean and Sam got to the roof pushed her too far."
Severide shakes his head, "I don't believe that! Please come back to me!" he tells her.
The lights are hitting Shaylynn in the face, a helicopter goes over head with its searchlight on shining it down on everyone below.
She blinks a couple of times and starts looking around, not sure where she is, she tries to get down off the gurney.
"Baby, no! You have to go to the hospital!" Severide tells her.
Shaylynn looks up at him, "Kelly?" she questions.
"Yes! Baby, I'm here!" he tells her.
Shaylynn throws her arms around his neck knocking off his helmet while he puts his arms around her. She starts crying.
Severide sticks one of his hands on the back of her head, "Babe, it's alright! I'm right here! He can't hurt you anymore!"
"Kelly," Dawson says to him.
"Shaylynn, they have to take you to the hospital now," he tells her as a call comes over his radio for a water rescue.
"Severide!" Boden yells.
"Shit!" Severide says, "Shaylynn, baby I have to go! I'll try and get to the hospital when I can!" he tells her kissing her, then running off toward Squad.
Shaylynn watches him run off, "Shaylynn, please sit up all the way on the gurney so we can get you to Med," Brett tells her.
Shaylynn complies with Brett's instructions.
Dawson and Brett load Shaylynn up, Brett getting up into the back. As soon as Brett's in, Halstead goes to jump up into the ambulance.
That is until Dean puts his hand on Halstead's chest, "Where do you think your going?" Dean asks him.
"I'm going with her!" Halstead tells Dean.
"The hell you are!" Dean says and looks at Sam, "You're her sister?" he questions her.
Sam shakes her head 'yes', "She'll be going with Shaylynn! Your ass will be staying here!"
Sam gets up into the ambulance, Dean shuts the doors, then Dawson pulls away.
Halstead looks at Dean, "Who the hell do you think you are?" he asks.
"I know who you aren't! You're not Shaylynn's husband!" Dean tells Halstead, "So I suggest you back the fuck off!"
Halstead stares at Dean, "What are you going to do?" Dean asks him.
"The guy who had a hold of Shaylynn, that was her ex-fiance. He killed two of her babies! I'm the one who protected her and took him down! Me! NOT Kelly!" Halstead tells Dean.
Dean starts walking toward Halstead when Sam stops him, "You sure do like to toot your own horn, don't you?!" Dean says, "What you should be doing is asking yourself, who does Shaylynn LOVE? By what I just saw, it doesn't seem like it's you!"
"That's because she doesn't know that it was me who killed Austin!" Halstead tells Dean and walks away.
"He's very cocky!" Dean tells Sam, "He's going to be a problem for Shaylynn and Kelly!"