Chapter 4 "Played Your Cards Right"

It's Wednesday.
The week is almost over, and it's been a rough one.
Halstead meets Antonio at Molly's.
Walking in, he sees Antonio sitting at the bar.
Beside him, he sees Casey and then Severide. Halstead rolls his eyes as he walks over.
Sitting down by Antonio, Herrmann walks over and sits a beer in front of Halstead.
Severide looks down and sees Halstead sitting there, "My week keeps getting worse!" he says to Casey.
"You know what Kelly, I've had enough of your shit!" Halstead says looking down the bar.
Severide just glares at him.
"You've always been so smug around me rubbing it in that you had Erin! Well, I had your wife!" Halstead tells him.
Dawson is in shock at what Halstead just said to Severide.
Severide gets a pissed off look on his face and jumps up off his barstool, Halstead does the same.
Casey and Antonio hurry and jump up also and get in between Severide and Halstead holding them apart.
"Jay, let's go!" Antonio tells him pushing him toward the door as Severide looks at him pissed off.
Outside of Molly's, Antonio pushes Halstead toward his car, "What's wrong with you saying that to Kelly?!"
"Everything I said was true! He would always give me smug looks after Erin and I got together. And now I had Shaylynn!" Halstead tells Antonio.
"I can't believe you slept with her!" Antonio says.
"Why? Don't you remember what she looks like?" Halstead asks, "If you would've played your cards right I bet you and her would have ended up together and she wouldn't have gotten back with Kelly!"
Antonio stares at him.
"I'm leaving! I have no reason to stay here!" Halstead says walking off toward his truck.
He gets in and drives off.
Antonio walks back into Molly's.

Since the DHS office was destroyed, they moved into a building that was close by that had security.
Sitting at her desk, Shaylynn's cell phone rings. She pulls it out of her pocket...
"Hello"
"Shaylynn, it's Gabby."
Thirty minutes later, Shaylynn's desk phone rings...
"Yes"
"Shaylynn, you have a visitor down here in the lobby," the guard tells her.
"Thanks!" she says hanging up.
She gets up and walks over to the elevator. Getting on she heads down to the lobby,
Shaylynn gets off the elevator and walks through security. Once she's through she sees Halstead standing there.
Shaylynn walks up to him, grabs his arm, and pulls him out of the building.
"What's your problem, Jay?" she asks him.
"What are you talking about?" Halstead asks her.
"At Molly's! Did you think I wouldn't hear about that?!" Shaylynn says to him, "I can't believe you told Kelly you had me!"
"It's true! He knows it!" Halstead says.
"It's one thing him knowing it, but it's different when you say it to him, rubbing it in his face!" Shaylynn tells him, "It would be best if you just leave and let me calm down!"
She turns around and heads back into the building.
Halstead walks back to his truck, gets in, sits there, and wonders why he did what he did. 

It's finally Friday.
Halstead has been trying to get in contact with Shaylynn, but she hasn't been answering his calls or replying to his texts.

A call comes into the Firehouse......

Truck 81, Squad 3, Ambulance 61, Battalion 25... assist police with a jumper, West Randolph Street bridge

They all load up in the trucks and drive out of the stalls.
Arriving at the bridge, the crews see a lot of police cruisers, along with the Intelligence Unit.
Everyone gets out of their trucks and walk over onto the bridge.
They see the man straddling the railing and Hank talking to him. Severide really looks at the man and walks over to Antonio.
Antonio pulls his phone out of his pocket.

Sitting at her desk, Shaylynn's cell phone rings...
"Hello"
"Shaylynn, it's Antonio. Can you come to the Randolph Street bridge, we could use your help!" he tells her.
She gets a confused look on her face, "I guess I can!" she says hanging up.
Heading down and out of the building, she rushes to her SUV.
Pulling up beside the bridge, she parks and gets out. Antonio is there to meet her to get her through.
"What's going on?" she asks him as they walk onto the bridge.
"Jumper," Antonio tells her.
Shaylynn's confused, "Why are you calling me?"
Antonio stops walking and points over at the jumper, Shaylynn looks over and gasps.
Walking over to Hank, she touches his shoulder. He turns around and looks at her.
"Hello, Corporal Young! Do you remember me?" Shaylynn asks him.
He looks at her, "Yes! You're Lieutenant General Voight!" he says.
"Please call me Shaylynn!" she tells him, "Would you please come down here so we can talk."
"I can't do that!" Young tells her.
"Why's that?" she asks.
Young reaches into his pocket and pulls out his service gun. All the police officers draw their guns.
Shaylynn leans over and whispers into Hanks' ear, he starts backing up. He moves his hands to indicate to the officers to lower their weapons.
"Corporal, talk to me!" Shaylynn tells him.
"It's Rodney," he says.
Shaylynn smiles at him, "Rodney, tell me what I can do for you?"
"You can't do anything for me! No one can! I want the noises and images to go away, but they won't!" he tells her.
Shaylynn understands what he's talking about, "Rodney, people can help! Just let us try!"
"So many people have already tried and the noises and images keep coming back!" he says putting the gun higher.
"Rodney!" Shaylynn says.
Rodney looks at her, "I'm sorry!" he tells her putting the gun in his mouth and pulling the trigger, falling over sideways to the river below.
"NO!" Shaylynn shouts, running to the railing getting ready to climb over it until Casey and Severide run up and grab her.
"LET GO OF ME!" she shouts at both of them.
"Shaylynn, he's gone!" Severide tells her.
Shaylynn's in disbelief!
"No! He can't be gone!" she shouts hitting Severide in the chest, then she starts crying.
He grabs her and brings her to him, putting his arms around her.
She continues to cry into his chest, Casey puts his hand on the back of Shaylynn's head.
Seeing Shaylynn crying, Dawson, Brett, and Kidd have tears running down their faces.
At a distance, Halstead watches everything going down between Shaylynn and Severide.

*~*~*~*~*

You might be asking yourself why is there two updates?

The reason, I received multiple emails yesterday telling me orders have been canceled.

This time of year is stressful enough, without this happening.