Chapter 28 "Wait For Me"

Over the course of the next couple of days, Shaylynn has been going around Chicago trying to get anything to trigger her memories.
Slowly, bits and pieces are returning, but it's not quick enough for her.

~~~~~~

Sitting in Dr. Rhodes office, Shaylynn waits to find out the results of her latest tests.
After waiting fifteen minutes, Dr. Rhodes walks in, walks around his desk, and sits down, "Everything looks good! All of the swelling is gone and your cut is healing nicely!" he tells her.
"Great! Now I wish all of my memories would come back!" Shaylynn tells him.
"What have you remembered?" he asks.
"All of them have been work related. All the bombings that have happened, things like that! Nothing about my personal life!" she says.
"Give it time! They'll come back when you least expect them to!" Dr. Rhodes says standing up. Shaylynn stands up also and starts walking to the door with Dr. Rhodes behind her.
She quickly stops, turns around, and hugs him, "Thank you for helping me through this and being a good friend!"
Dr. Rhodes smiles, 'Shaylynn, that's what friends are for! To be there in good times and to help through the bad!"
Shaylynn steps back to see him smiling at her, "I really appreciate it! Other than Mary, the only friends I can remember are Butch and the guys. But it seems they are overseas for the next few months."
"You have your sister and Dad around," Dr. Rhodes tells her.
"Yeah, but they're working on some big case they won't let me in on even though I have clearance. At least they could do is let me work! I might have lost 8 years, but things are coming back. And the years I was dealing with terrorists, I haven't forgotten them!" she tells him, "I've taken up enough of your time! I'm going to go!"
"You know you can call me if you want to talk," Dr. Rhodes tells her.
"Do I have your number?" Shaylynn asks pulling up her contacts.
"Look under Connor," he tells her.
Just as he told her, his number is on her phone, "Thanks, Connor! I'll see you around!"
Shaylynn opens up the door and walks out.

Making her way through the ED, Shaylynn says goodbye to Maggie and heads toward the door.
A sound of glass shattering is heard through the ED and a man running from the medication lockup is heading toward the doors.
"SHAYLYNN!" Maggie yells out.
Shaylynn turns around to see a man carrying a bag running toward her. As soon as he's close enough, Shaylynn sticks up her hand, her palm making contact with his nose sending him falling to the floor.
Maggie and two security guards come running out, "You sure didn't lose your skills!" Maggie says smiling.
"If they won't let me work in the DHS any longer maybe I'll go back to security work," Shaylynn tells Maggie.
"You can do security work with us anytime!" one of the security guards tells her helping the guy up off the floor.
"Thanks!" Shaylynn says smiling, "I better be going!"

~~~~~~

Making it back home, Shaylynn gets busy doing laundry.
An hour later there's a knock at her door.
She walks to the front door, opens it to see Severide standing there.
"Kelly?!" Shaylynn says surprised.
"Can I come in?" he asks her.
"I guess," she tells him.
Severide walks into the house, "I need to talk to you" he tells her.
Shaylynn starts walking into the living room with Severide following her. She sits down on the couch with him sitting down right beside her.
"Shaylynn, I don't live here. Before your accident we were estranged, but we were working on trying to get back together" he tells her, "We both cheated on each other."
Shaylynn sits there listening to him, "Over these three days at work I've wanted to tell you, but I didn't want to do it over the phone."
Severide looks at her and sees she has a strange look on her face, "Are you alright?" he asks her.
"I remember seeing you with a short brunette in a bar and following you back to her apartment! Then there's another brunette who told me in Molly's bathroom how amazing you were in bed! Then multiple other women after that!" Shaylynn says pissed off, "Kelly, an ex-fiance screwed me over by cheating on me! I don't know if I can make this work!" she tells him.
"But you cheated also, it just wasn't me!" Severide tells her.
"By the sound of it, you cheated A LOT more than what I did. I was only with one guy, where you were multiple women!" she tells him.
"How do you know you were with one guy? Do you remember that?" he asks her.
"No, when Mary took me to see my Dad, I ran into Jay Halstead and he told me he was the one I cheated on you with!" Shaylynn tells him.
Severide shakes his head pissed off, he then grabs her hand, "I gave you this ring on Christmas as a promise ring. A promise that I would try harder on mending our relationship. Shaylynn, I love you! I just got lost on the way!"
"Kelly, I don't know what I was thinking then, but now I really can't see us working out! The last guy who cheated on me I made his life a living hell in the military. So bad he started screwing up and received a dishonorable discharge!" she tells him.
"So what are you saying?" Severide asks her.
"Kelly, I don't want to make any harsh decisions right now! What if I start remembering what we were doing and if what you and Jay said is true we were trying to rekindle our relationship, I don't want to ruin that by not remembering. Why don't you go on living your life as though you're not married and I'll do the same. Little by little things are coming back to me each day. Maybe at some point, we'll meet up in the middle" Shaylynn tells him.
Severide looks at her, "I don't know if I can do that! Shaylynn, you're my world! Being without you for so long is driving me insane! That night we had together after I was trapped in that building, was everything to me!"
"Whoa, wait! You were trapped in a building?" Shaylynn asks him.
"We'll talk about that at a different time," he tells her.
"NO! We are going to talk about that right now!" Shaylynn demands.
"Shaylynn..." he says.
"Hush! Tell me about it!" she tells him.
Severide sighs, "We went in to put multiples fires out and to search for people since the building was a well-known place for homeless people to take shelter. The fires were put out and thankfully we didn't find anyone inside. As we were heading out, bombs went off bringing the building down. The stairwell system in this building was made of concrete, so we were able to get under that until help came."
He looks at Shaylynn and sees she has her eyes closed with tears streaming down her face.
"I was there! I was picking up debris trying to get to you! Sam and Dean had a hold of me trying to get me back. Sam took me back to her car, a while later you were touching my leg. I hugged you, you got checked out, and went back to the Firehouse. Later that night you came here..." she pauses opening up her eyes in shock, "We made love! After everything that has happened, we made love?!" Shaylynn says confused.
"Yes, we did! After everything we've been through, it was a wonderful night being just the two of us! No one else mattered!" Severide tells her.
Shaylynn shakes her head, "Kelly, I'm so confused!"
"I know," he tells her.
"I'm still going to stand by what I said, we should live as though we're not married," she tells him.
"Shaylynn, I don't want to live like that! I want you!" Severide tells her.
"Kelly, I think it would be best for right now!" Shaylynn tells him.
"If that's what you want to do! But I'm not going to go out with anyone!" he tells her.
"If that's what you choose to do, fine! But I'm not going to say the same for me!" Shaylynn says.
Severide looks at her with a surprised look.
"You say you love me, prove it! Can you wait for me no matter what I do?" she asks him, "Can you handle that?"
He gives her a look, "I can do it!"