Chapter 26 "Job Comes First"

The next morning, Sam and Hank are called out on a call so they can't make it in to see Shaylynn.
Sam calls Severide to tell him that they won't be making it right away and that it's up to him if he wants to see Shaylynn without them.

~~~~~~

Severide walks down the hallway to Shaylynn's room, he walks up to the door and knocks.
"Come in" he hears her say.
He opens the door enough so he can stick his head inside, "Can I come in?" he asks her.
Shaylynn smiles, "Of course!" she tells him.
Severide walks into her room, "Can I ask you a question?" Shaylynn asks him.
Severide smiles at her, "Sure!" he says.
"Did you give me this ring?" she asks him holding up her hand to show him the ring.
He sees it's the ring he gave her for Christmas, "Yes! I gave it to you on Christmas" he tells her.
"It's beautiful! Thank you! I love Victorian things! That I can remember" she says looking at him.
Severide can see on her face that she's upset, "Is everything okay? Does me being here upset you? I can leave if it does" he tells her.
Shaylynn shakes her head 'no', "You being here doesn't bother me!" she tells him with a frown on her face, "I'm so sorry I don't remember you! I've been trying to remember most of the night, but I don't!"
"It's alright, I'm sure you'll recover your memory soon enough," he tells her.
"But what if I don't? It's not fair to you to be married to someone who doesn't remember you!" Shaylynn tells him.
"We'll see how things go, okay," Severide says to her.

Over the course of the day, Severide sits with Shaylynn talking about things she's done while in Chicago to see if anything triggers her memory. Nothing does.
With the call Sam and Hank were called out on, they weren't able to make it to the hospital at all.
Dr. Rhodes walks into Shaylynn's room, "After all your tests today, I see no reason to keep you any longer. I'll have you discharged tomorrow morning" he tells her.
"Thank you, Dr. Rhodes!" Shaylynn says.
Dr. Rhodes and Severide both look at each other as though they're thinking the same thing. Any other time Shaylynn would call him Connor.
"Not a problem!" Dr. Rhodes says, he then walks over to the door and walks out.
"Are you coming back tomorrow morning?" Shaylynn asks Severide.
"I have work tomorrow, but I can be a little late," he tells her.
"Oh no! I'm not making you late for work! Your job comes first!" she tells him, "What do you do?" she asks him.
"I'm a Lieutenant at Firehouse 51," he tells her.
Shaylynn gets a shocked look on her face, "Speaking of jobs, do you know Butch, Rob, Dan, and Dave?"
Severide smiles, "Yes, I know them!" he says, "But if you're asking about a job for you, you no longer work with them."
Shaylynn gives him a look, "What job do I have?" she asks him.
"You work for the DHS," he says.
"Homeland Security? How the hell did I get that job?" Shaylynn asks.
"Maybe it would be a good idea to wait to talk about that" Severide tells her.
"What time do you go to work?" Shaylynn asks him.
"I have to be there at eight," he tells her.
"I'll see if Dr. Rhodes will discharge me at six because I'm going to need a way home, wherever that is!" Shaylynn says, "That's if you don't mind taking me home," she says, "I guess I should have asked you first. I'm sorry!"
"You don't have to apologize! I'll be here to take you home!" Severide tells her.
"Then may I ask you for a favor?" Shaylynn asks Severide.
"Anything!" he tells her.
"Would you please bring me some clothes from home. I was told by a nurse all I came in with was a blanket covering me" she tells him.
Severide smiles at her, "Sure! That's not a problem!"

The next morning Dr. Rhodes is in Shaylynn's room bright and early with her discharge papers.
"Kelly's coming to take you home?" he asks her.
"He said he was. He's supposed to be bringing me clothes" she tells him, "Dr. Rhodes, are we friends? I feel like we've talked before all this happened."
He smiles at her, "Yes, we're friends. We talked the night before your accident. You very rarely call me Dr. Rhodes though, you usually call me Connor."
The ringtone on his phone goes off to indicate he has a text message. He pulls out his phone and looks at the message.
"There's an emergency down in the ED! You're all set to be discharged" he tells her walking to the door.
"Thank you, Connor!" Shaylynn says.
Dr. Rhodes turns around and smiles at her, "Anytime!" he says and walks out the door.

Around six thirty Severide walks into Shaylynn's room with her clothes.
She takes them from him and goes to the bathroom to get dressed.
After a few minutes, Shaylynn comes walking out, "Ready?" Severide asks her.
"Yep! I'm excited to see where we live!" she tells him.
Hearing Shaylynn say 'where we live' rips a hole in his heart.
Making their way down to the ground floor and out of the hospital, Shaylynn follows Severide to his truck. He helps her in, then gets in himself and drives off.

~~~~~~

Severide pulls up in front of Shaylynn's house, she looks at it, "This is our house?" she asks with a big smile.
"It's your house," he tells her, but she doesn't catch what he says about it being hers.
Getting out of the truck, they both walk up the steps to the front porch.
Severide unlocks the door and opens it for Shaylynn. She walks in and starts looking around.
Going from room to room, Severide sees she has a confused look on her face.
"What's wrong?" he asks her.
"If we're married, why aren't there any wedding pictures sitting around or up on the walls?" Shaylynn asks him.
"We never had any done," he tells her.
"Really? Why not?" she asks him.
"It was a spur of the moment wedding," he says.
"What do you mean it was a spur of the moment wedding?" she asks really confused.
"Events happened and we hurried and got married," he tells her.
Shaylynn gives him a look, she then turns and walks into the kitchen to see a phone charging on the counter, "I'm guessing this is my phone?" she asks Severide.
He nods to her.
Shaylynn picks it up and turns it on, "Great! It's locked with a password!" she says upset.
Severide lets out a little sigh, "Try Marshall" he tells her.
She types it in, the password works.
Looking through her phone, she opens up the gallery to see if any of the pictures will help her memory.
Shaylynn gets a funny look on her face, "Is everything alright?" Severide asks her.
She walks over to him, "Who's this?" she asks showing a picture to him.

SHIT! Severide thinks to himself, "That's Jay Halstead

SHIT! Severide thinks to himself, "That's Jay Halstead. He works with your Dad" he tells her.
"Why do I have a lot of pictures of him on my phone?" she asks as she scrolls through them.
Severide looks at his phone to see what time it is, "I better be going!" he tells her, "Mary is going to be stopping by in a little bit."
"Mary's in Chicago?" Shaylynn asks surprised.
"Yes. She decided to retire from the Marines" Severide tells her.
Shaylynn smiles, "Are your shifts like three on, two off? Two on, three off?" she asks.
Severide smiles at her, "Yes, that's how our shifts go. I'm on the three on, two off" he tells her.
"Okay. I just wanted to get an idea when to expect you home!" Shaylynn says.
Hearing this rips the hole in his heart bigger, "I'll be staying with a guy that's on my Squad" he tells her.
"Why?" she asks.
"With you not remembering who I am, it's not right to stay in the house with you. I don't want you to feel uneasy in your own home" Severide says.
"But it's not right to run you out of what's your house also!" Shaylynn tells him.
"It's alright! I'd rather do it this way" he says.
Shaylynn looks at him, "Okay, if that's what you want to do! I should let you go before you're late for work. Thank you for bringing me home, Kelly!"
Just hearing Shaylynn say his name arouses him, but he has to stop thinking like that. As much as he would like to pick her up and carry her upstairs to make love to her, he knows she doesn't see him as a lover. He has to face it that the Shaylynn he's looking at isn't the same Shaylynn who craved for his touch.