Chapter 25 "2018? It Was Just 2010"

The next morning, Shaylynn wakes up with a terrible headache. She gets out of bed and starts walking to the bathroom.

~~~~~~

Lucifer parks in front of Shaylynn's house. He gets out and walks up to the front door and starts knocking.
No one answers.
He walks to the backyard, jumps the fence and looks through a window into the garage, Shaylynn's SUV is still inside.
Walking up to the back door, he bangs on the door
No one answers.
Taking it upon himself he kicks the door open and walks inside, "Shaylynn!" he yells.
She doesn't answer but he hears water running upstairs. Running up the stairs he stops at the top and listens to see what direction the sound of water is coming from.
Realizing it's coming from the room behind him, he quickly walks to it. He opens the door to see it's Shaylynn's bedroom.
Walking in he hears the water from behind a closed door. He walks over and opens the door to find Shaylynn laying on the bathroom floor with her face in a pool of blood.
"Shaylynn!" he says rushing over to her.
Once he's gotten closer he can see she has a huge gash on her forehead and has blood coming out of her nose, ears, and mouth.
Lucifer quickly pulls out his phone and calls 9-1-1.
While waiting for an ambulance, he grabs a blanket off Shaylynn's bed and covers her up.
"Hold on, Shaylynn! Help is coming!" he tells her.

~~~~~~

At Chicago Med, Boden is standing inside Cell 5 with Donna while she gets stitches in one of her fingers.
"Next time you're cutting up vegetables, PLEASE move your finger before chopping down!" Dr. Choi tells her with a smile on his face.
"I'll try to remember, Dr. Choi!" Donna tells him.
"Dr. Rhodes!" Maggie yells at him as a gurney is being pushed into the ED, "Take her to Trauma 3" Maggie yells.
Boden looks out and sees Shaylynn's on the gurney, he looks back at Donna, "It's Shaylynn who's on the gurney!" he tells her.
"Was Kelly with her?" Donna asks.
"I didn't see anyone with her!" he tells her.
"Wallace, go! Go see what's happening!" Donna tells him.
Boden nods to her, walks out and over to Trauma 3.
He pulls out his phone.

Five minutes later, Severide is running through the ED doors, Boden intercepts him....

"I never should have left last night!" Severide tells Boden, "If I would have been there this wouldn't have happened!""Kelly, you can't do that to yourself! There's no way you could have prevented this!" Boden tells him

"Kelly, you can't do that to yourself! There's no way you could have prevented this!" Boden tells him.
"I better call Hank and Sam to let them know!" Severide says pulling out his phone.
Shaylynn's taken upstairs where she has test after test performed on her. After she's done, they get her settled into a room.

Quite a while later, Dr. Rhodes walks into her room.
"Well? Did you find out anything?" Severide asks him.
"She has a little swelling on her brain, but nothing was found that would have caused her to fall," Dr. Rhodes tells him.
Shaylynn's eyes start to move, "Looks like she's trying to wake up," Dr. Rhodes says.
Sam and Hank come walking down the hallway toward Shaylynn's room when they hear yelling, Sam hurries into the room with Hank right behind her.
"SAM!" Shaylynn yells at her.
Sam sees Shaylynn in a corner of the room over by the windows. She hurries over to her.
Shaylynn grabs onto her, 'What's going on?" Sam asks her.
"These people are telling me I'm in Chicago! I was just in New York! Plus they keep telling me it's 2018! How can it be 2018 when it was just 2010?" Shaylynn asks her.
Sam quickly looks over at Dr. Rhodes and Dr. Charles, "And that one in the leather coat says he's my husband! I never remarried!" Shaylynn tells her.
"May I speak to you gentlemen outside please!" Dr. Charles says to Dr. Rhodes, Hank, and Severide.
They follow him out of the room while Sam gets Shaylynn back into bed.
Hank looks at Dr. Rhodes, "What's going on?" he asks.
"Shaylynn hit her head we're guessing on the bathtub. She has some swelling on the brain that's probably causing this" he tells Hank.
"What's 'this'?" Hank asks.
Dr. Rhodes looks at Dr. Charles, "Shaylynn is suffering from amnesia" Dr. Charles says, "She's lost the last eight years it seems."
"Shaylynn remembered Sam?" Hank says confused.
"Think about it, Shaylynn has known you and Sam her entire life. As for us, we're during that eight years" Dr. Charles tells him.
Hank looks over at Severide who looks very upset.
"What can be done?" Hank asks.
"She needs time to try and recover the last eight years she's lost. The only thing we can do is be patient and try helping her recover those memories" Dr. Charles tells him.

Back in Shaylynn's room, Sam gets her back into bed, "Sam, what's going on? Why am I in Chicago? How did I get here?" Shaylynn asks her.
"Shaylynn, you've lived here for a while now. And that man in the leather coat, he is your husband" Sam tells her.
"No, it can't be! I don't remember him! I don't remember coming to Chicago!" Shaylynn says getting upset, 'Sam, what's wrong with me?"
"You hit your head," Sam tells her.
"Sam, what am I going to do? How can I sleep in a bed with a man I don't even know even though I'm told he's my husband?" Shaylynn asks her.
Just then the door to Shaylynn's room opens, Hank walks in first and over to her bed.
"Hi, Dad!" Shaylynn says, Hank hugging her.
"Shaylynn, you've had an accident," he tells her.
"Sam said I hit my head," Shaylynn says to him.
"That's right! Can I introduce you to the gentlemen behind me?" he asks her.
Shaylynn nods to him, "This is Dr. Daniel Charles" Hank says, "Next one is Dr. Connor Rhodes and then Kelly Severide" he tells her.
"Do any of those names sound familiar?" Sam asks her.
Shaylynn shakes her head 'no'.
"Alright everyone, we should go and let Shaylynn get some rest!" Dr. Rhodes says.
"I'll be here first thing tomorrow morning, okay!" Sam tells her sister.
Shaylynn gives her a half smile.
Hank walks over to her and gives her a hug, "I'll be coming sometime tomorrow also" he tells her.
Severide stands there and wants so badly to give Shaylynn a hug, buts stays back.
Both doctors walk out with Hank behind them. Sam walks over to Severide and touches his arm.
"Bye," Shaylynn says to him in a soft tone.
Severide smiles a little and walks out of the room with Sam.

Hank, Sam, and Severide make their way out of the hospital.
"Sam, I'll see you tomorrow!" Hank tells her walking off to his car.
"Yeah, see you tomorrow!" she says back to him.
She turns back around and looks at Severide, "How you doing?" she asks him.
"Not good! Shaylynn doesn't recognize me! We were trying to work things out, but now that's never going to happen!" he tells her.
"Kelly, did you ever think this might be a way to get a clean slate for you two? She might or might not get those eight years of memories back, no one knows. This would be an excellent time for you to make her fall in love you all over again!" Sam says, "But you also need to realize things have changed with her and it's possible she might not pick you again. You understand what I'm saying?" Sam asks him.
Severide feels his heart drop listening to what Sam is saying. Tears start pooling in his eyes and he shakes his head 'yes'.

 Tears start pooling in his eyes and he shakes his head 'yes'