Chapter 29 "Masked Ball"

A month has gone by.
Shaylynn has regained her memory, but she and Severide have only talked a few times over the past month.

~~~~~~

Sitting on her couch reading a book, there's a knock at the door.
Shaylynn gets up, walks to the door and opens it. Standing on the porch is a man holding a HUGE garment bag.
"Ms. Voight?" the man asks.
This is the first time someone has called her by her maiden name in a long time.
"Yes," she says.
"Courtesy of Dr. Connor Rhodes!" he says, "Is there somewhere I can hang it up?" he asks.
"Follow me please," Shaylynn tells him.
The man walks in and follows Shaylynn up the stairs to her room.
"You can hang it on the door," she tells him.
The man hangs the garment bag up. He walks out of her room and down the stairs with Shaylynn following him.
"Thank you!" Shaylynn tells him as he walks out the door.
"Not a problem! Have fun!" he tells her as he walks off the porch.
Shaylynn sees the man move to the side so Sam could walk past him.
Sam walks up to the door, "Ready?" she asks with a smile as she walks inside.
"You bet!" Shaylynn says walking up the stairs, Sam following her.
"You said you have everything right?" Sam asks while walking up the stairs.
"Yes," Shaylynn says as she walks into her bedroom.
"Tell me again why I'm doing your hair?" Sam asks.
"Because I want something special for tonight," Shaylynn tells her sitting down.
"Alright, let's get started!" Sam says picking up a brush.
Thirty minutes later, Sam's done with Shaylynn's hair. 

Sam heads downstairs to wait for Shaylynn to finish up

Fifteen minutes later, there's a knock at Shaylynn's door.
Sam walks over and answers it to find Rhodes standing there in a tux, "Wow, Connor! You clean up nice!" Sam says joking around, "Come in!"
"Thanks, Sam!" Rhodes says smiling as he walks in, "Is she ready?"
"Shaylynn! Connor's here!" Sam yells.
Shaylynn starts coming down the stairs. Rhodes sees her and gets a huge smile on his face.
Sam sees the smile on his face and turns to see Shaylynn walking down the stairs in a big ballgown. 

'Wow! Where did you get that?" Sam asks Shaylynn as she reaches the bottom of the stairs

"It's from Connor," Shaylynn says smiling.
Sam looks over at Rhodes,"It's on loan from a designer that designs clothes that are sold in my Dad's store" he tells Sam.
"Exactly where are you going?" Sam asks.
"We're going to a charity event for the hospital. It's a masked ball" he tells Sam.
"Well, that makes sense" Shaylynn says, "I wondered what this mask was for."