Chapter 13 "A Detective & A Firefighter"

At Med, no time is wasted with Shaylynn being admitted.
After she's settled into her room and has talked to Dr. Charles, Sam comes into her room. She walks over to a chair and sits down.
Shaylynn looks at Sam, "It was Austin who had a hold of me! He was touching me!" Shaylynn says in a disgusted tone, "Then he whispered in my ear what happened to Damian and Saraya! That's the last thing I remember! The next thing I know I'm hugging Kelly! Sam, what happened between me being on the roof to going to hugging Kelly?" Shaylynn asks her sister.
"Can you first tell me how Austin got a hold of you?" Sam asks.
"I was running after a woman. She was a minute ahead of me. When I ran through the door that leads out onto the roof, I was clotheslined and fell hard hitting my head. I came to maybe a minute later sitting up with handcuffs on. Austin grabbed onto my wrists, had me stand up, and pushed me over to the ledge. He then climbed up and pulled me up with him. That's when he told me about Damian and Saraya" Shaylynn tells her, "Please thank your sharpshooter for taking Austin out!"
"It wasn't one of mine who did it!" Sam tells her.
"Who did?" Shaylynn asks.
"Before I could give anyone the order, Dad gave Jay the order to do it. Jay's the one who took Austin out!" Sam tells her.
"Does Kelly know this?" Shaylynn asks her.
Sam shakes her head 'yes', "Jay must have said something to Kelly because they got in to it at the scene!"
Shaylynn shakes her head, "I bet Kelly feels like shit! What's he supposed to do? He's not a cop or anything like it. He doesn't have a gun! If he did anything to Austin and was found out, he would have been arrested, unlike Jay who has a badge making it alright for him to take down a criminal like Austin!" Shaylynn says looking at the clock.
"Why do you keep looking at the clock?" Sam asks her.
"I'm watching to see how long it takes for Dr. Charles to come back in here. I know for a fact he's going to want to put me on a 72-hour hold under his care," she tells Sam, "You really should be going! I'm sure you have work to finish up with and get home! It's almost Christmas!" Shaylynn says smiling at her.
Sam lets out a little laugh, "You're always worried about others!"
There's a knock on Shaylynn's door, it opens and Halstead walks in.
Sam looks over and sees it's him, then looks back at Shaylynn, "I should be going!" she says standing up.
She walks up to Shaylynn and gives her a hug, "I'll see you tomorrow!" Sam tells her.
Turning around, she grabs her coat off the chair and walks toward the door, past Halstead.
"Why are you here?" Sam asks Halstead in a hushed tone.
"Back off, Sam!" Halstead tells her.
Sam gets a disbelief look on her face, "I'll kick your ass, Jay!" she whispers to him, "Watch yourself! Shaylynn picks Kelly, which I'm sure she already has, you need to back the fuck off!"
Sam turns back around toward Shaylynn, "See you tomorrow!" she says again and walks out of the room. The door closing behind her.
Halstead walks over to Shaylynn, "How you doing?" he asks her.
Shaylynn shoots him a glare, "What did you say to Kelly?" she asks him.
"What do you mean?" Halstead asks.
"Damn! I hate repeating myself! What...did....you....say....to....Kelly?!" Shaylynn asks him again, but slower this time.
"Nothing!" Halstead says knowing he's lying.
"Bullshit! Sam told me you and Kelly got into at the scene! Now, what did you say?!" she asks, "You might as well tell me! If I ask Kelly, he'll tell me what you said!"
Halstead lets out a sigh, "I told him I did something he couldn't do, protect you and take Austin out!"
Shaylynn's pissed!
"What the fuck, Jay! You're a damn Detective with a badge and gun! Kelly's a Firefighter! What the fuck is Kelly suppose to do? Go out, find Austin and kill him?! You know damn well he would have been arrested and sent to prison!" Shaylynn tells him, "Jay, leave!"
"Shaylynn.." Halstead says.
"I said leave!" Shaylynn tells him pointing at the door, at that moment Dr. Charles walks in.
"Am I interrupting something?" Dr. Charles asks.
"No! Jay was just leaving!" Shaylynn says pissed off.
Dr. Charles looks at Halstead, he walks over to the door and walks out.
"Shaylynn, you don't look so good," Dr. Charles tells her.
"Two guys are literally driving me insane!" Shaylynn tells him.
Dr. Charles gets a surprised look on his face at what Shaylynn says.
"Are you keeping me for 72 hours?" she asks him.
Dr. Charles shakes his head no, "Only for 24 hours!" he tells her.
"After what you told me, I went and talked to Dr. Reese and told her what you said. We both agreed with it being Austin, what he told you and the situation you were in, your brain shut itself down to protect itself from him. Shaylynn, if you're waiting for me to say there's something wrong with you, there's not! With what you've been through with him, if it would have been anyone else and went through the same events, their brain would've done the same thing" Dr. Charles tells her, "Are you still opposed to medication?"
Shaylynn shakes her head 'yes', "No pills!"
"Alright! You'll be out of here in 24 hours" Dr. Charles tells her with a smile, "I better get on my rounds!" he walks to the door, "If you want to talk, just let a nurse know. Either I or Dr. Reese will be in!"
"Thanks, Dr. Charles!" Shaylynn tells him.
Dr. Charles opens the door and walks out.

It's around 2 a.m.
Shaylynn's never been able to sleep in hospitals, so she's just laying in bed.
Her door opens, she figures it's a nurse coming in until a light shines on her as the door closes.
The light starts walking toward her. The closer it gets the faster her heart starts to beat not knowing what's going to happen since she has no gun, no knife, nothing to protect herself!
Before she knows it, the light is right beside her getting even closer.
She feels breathing on her face, then pressure on her lips. By the way the person kisses she knows it's Severide.
Putting a hand on his face, she feels his stubble, her heart beating even faster with excitement.
"What are you doing here?" she asks him.
"I said I would stop by when I could! We've been pretty busy because of the snow" he tells her.
"Are you alright?" Shaylynn asks him.
"Why wouldn't I be alright?" Severide asks her confused.
"Because of what Jay said! He was so in the wrong to say what he did to you!" she tells him.
"Don't worry about what Jay said to me! You need to worry about you! I can handle Jay!" Severide says.
"Kelly...." Shaylynn says.
"I'm not going to go looking for him, but if he gets in my face again I will punch him!" Severide tells her, "I better be going before the nurses find me in here! The ones on the night shift are mean!"
Shaylynn laughs, "Be careful out there!" she tells him.
"Always am!" he says kissing her again.
He walks to the door, opens it, and walks out.

The next morning, Shaylynn has requested if Dr. Charles or Dr. Reese can come to her room early.
Dr. Reese comes into Shaylynn's room, "What can I do for you, Shaylynn?" she asks.
"Can I be discharged? I really need to get back to work!" Shaylynn tells her.
"You want to go back to work?" Dr. Reese questions her.
"Yes, I hate just sitting at home looking at the walls! Plus now that Austin is out of the picture, the terrorist group is either going to panic or retaliate!" Shaylynn tells her.
"I suppose I could discharge you on one condition!" Dr. Reese says.
"Name it!" Shaylynn says.
"That when you feel like something is becoming too much, you stop and call me or Dr. Charles!" Dr. Reese tells her.
Shaylynn smiles, "Deal!"
"I'm serious, Shaylynn! We want to keep you from going to your dark place! You had a lot of people worried this last time!" Dr. Reese tells her.
"I promise, I'll call!" Shaylynn says.
"Alright! I'll get your paperwork started" Dr. Reese says walking to the door.
"Thank you!" Shaylynn says.
Dr. Reese smiles at her and walks out.
Shaylynn picks up the phone and calls Sam asking her if she would pick her up at the hospital.
Twenty minutes later, Shaylynn is discharged and Sam picks her up.

~~~~~~

Sam pulls up in front of Shaylynn's house.
"Do you have a few minutes?" Shaylynn asks Sam.
"Yes, what do you need?" Sam asks her.
"I need your help! I bought something and need your help with it" Shaylynn tells Sam.
Sam gets out of her car and goes inside Shaylynn's house with her.
Five minutes later, Sam is walking out the door, "I hope you appreciate that!"
"Thank you, Sammie!" Shaylynn says standing at the door smiling.
"Yeah! Yeah! I'm now scared for life!" Sam tells Shaylynn before getting into her car.
Sam drives off as Shaylynn closes the door.
Shaylynn unlocks her phone and opens an app, "Get rid of this, add that, perfect!" she says.
After a few seconds, she puts her phone down and heads upstairs to get ready for work.

~~~~~~

After the night they've had Severide is behind in paperwork.
He's been working on it most of the night since getting back after seeing Shaylynn. Thankfully shift will be over in a couple of hours.

His phone goes off to let him know he has a text message. Picking up his phone he sees it's from Shaylynn.

Shaylynn: Are you stopping by tonight?

Severide drops his phone onto his desk.