Chapter 10 "Nut Case"

After Shaylynn's dried off, Severide wraps her knuckles with gauze.
"Go get dressed and I'll take you to Med to get your knuckles looked at," he tells her.
She looks at him with a look of defeat on her face.
They both walk out of the bathroom, she heads toward the bedroom, Severide walks downstairs.
Once down, he takes out his phone....
"Hello"
"Matt, whenever you have time can you come over to Shaylynn's? There are six holes in one of her walls. They're all pretty big!" Severide tells him.
"Do you know what made them?" Casey asks him,
"Her fists!" Severide says.
Severide can hear mumbling, "I'll be there in fifteen minutes," Casey says.
"Okay. I'm going to take her to Med. She has a flower pot sitting on the front porch under the mailbox. Lift it up and tap the bottom three times. A door will open and there will be a key inside" Severide tells him.
"Got it!" Casey says.
"And Matt, thanks!" Severide says.
"No problem, Kelly!" Casey says hanging up.

Upstairs, Shaylynn is looking for something comfortable to wear.  

She puts the clothes on and walks downstairs where she finds Severide waiting by the door for her holding her coat

Walking up to him, he holds her coat for her and helps her put it on.
They walk out to the truck, get in, and head to Med.

~~~~~~

The ride to Med is quiet.
When Severide parks, he gets out and walks over to Shaylynn's side, helping her out.
They walk into the ED, Maggie seeing them, "Dr. Choi!" she says, "Go into Cell 3."
Shaylynn walks into Cell 3 with Dr. Choi following her. He notices Severide isn't following them.
"Kelly, you can come in!" Dr. Choi tells him.
"I'll wait out here," Severide says.
"You can come in" Severide hears Shaylynn say.
Dr. Choi looks at Severide, he starts walking into the Cell. Severide walks over to the side and sits down.
Dr. Choi walks up to Shaylynn, "What happened?" he asks her taking the gauze off her hands.
"A wall got in my way!" she tells him not making eye contact.
Dr. Choi looks at Severide, then back to Shaylynn, "You own a Victorian type home do you not?" he asks her.
"Yes," she says.
"Alright. Because it's an older home and not knowing what the wall has in it, I'd like to start an IV to start giving you antibiotics. Is that okay with you?" he asks Shaylynn.
"That's fine," she tells Dr. Choi.
Dr. Choi walks over and slides the door shut, "Shaylynn, I know what you're experiencing! I know something happened to set you off! Having PTSD is a real bitch!" he says to her, "I'll have April come in and get the IV started. As for your knuckles, you only broke the skin. Only thing I'm going to do is wrap them so you can keep them clean."
Dr. Choi looks at Severide and nods toward the door so he'll follow him out.
Severide gets up and follows Dr. Choi out of the cell, "April, can you get an IV going for Shaylynn with antibiotics, please!"
"Sure can!" April says walking into Cell 3.
Dr. Choi pulls Severide to the side, "What happened?" he asks.
"I'm not sure! I guess she got a call from the Fertility Center and they told her the surrogate had a miscarriage. Jay stopped by her house, then called me and said that she was outside screaming, with blood on her face and her knuckles broken open because she punched holes in her wall" Severide tells him.
Dr. Choi shakes his head, "Kelly, she's going to need a lot of support! Do you know any of her co-workers?"
"Yes, why?" Severide asks him.
"Get in touch with them and let them know about her PTSD if they don't already know. That way they can keep a close eye on her when she's at work. I'm sure you know what sets her off, let them know. If there are any signs that she's about to go, they can try and diffuse the bomb" Dr. Choi tells him.
"Alright! Thanks!" Severide tells Dr. Choi.
After an hour, Shaylynn's discharged.

~~~~~~

Walking into her house, she sees the holes have been fixed. All they need now is to be painted.
She turns and looks at Severide, "I asked Matt to come by and look things over" she tells him.
Shaylynn shakes her head, "I'm sure he and Gabby along with the rest of the Firehouse think I'm a nut case!"
Severide grabs her shoulders, "Don't ever say that again! They know you've seen things that they can't even imagine seeing! Or been in situations they'll never be in!"
"That doesn't help! I always see the looks people give me, just watching and waiting to see if I'm going to explode!" Shaylynn tells him.
Severide shakes his head, "Why don't you go upstairs and change."
Shaylynn stares at him, "Go!" he says turning her around and giving her a little push toward the stairs.
She climbs the stairs like a toddler not wanting to go to bed, Severide laughs at her.
While Shaylynn's upstairs, Severide walks into the kitchen to make some Hot Chocolate.

Upstairs, Shaylynn gets into a dresser drawer.
She gets out of the clothes she wore to the hospital and changes. Afterwards, she sits down on the side of her bed, lowers her head, and puts her hands over her face.

Why do I keep doing this to myself? I have a man who says he loves me, but I keep trying to push him away! I deserve to be loved, don't I? He says he's staying this time and we'll work through things together. Am I stupid to think that he means it? Or is he going to break my heart?

While waiting, Severide puts "The Christmas Card" into the blu-ray player knowing it's one of her favorite Christmas movies.
Severide watches Shaylynn walk into the living room and smiles.
She grabs one of her many fuzzy blankets, sits down on the couch, and covers herself up.
He pulls her over to be beside him. She moves over and he puts his arm around her.
Being warm, she snuggles more into him, he smiles again handing her a mug of Hot Chocolate.
This is the Shaylynn he truly loves! The side of Shaylynn no one sees.
Messed up hair from taking off her shirt and not bothering to fix it. Coming downstairs in Christmas themed loungewear, grabbing a fuzzy blanket, and curling up on the couch with it like a little child. At times he wishes others could see this side of her, but he likes knowing that he's the only one. At least he thinks he's the only one.

The movie ends.
Shaylynn only made it halfway through before she fell asleep.
Seeing her so peaceful Severide isn't sure he wasn't to get up, but he knows she needs to get to bed.
"Shaylynn, come on! You need to get to bed!" he tells her.
Shaylynn makes a noise in protest, Severide smiles.
"Come on, you have to get to bed," he tells her again.
She sits up, then stands up, and walks toward the stairs with Severide following her.
They reach the top of the stairs, walking to the master bedroom.
Shaylynn lays down in bed, then Severide covers her up. He kisses her on top of the head, turns on a fan for white noise, turns around, and walks to the door.
"I thought you said you weren't going to leave me?" Shaylynn asks him.
He turns around and smiles at her, "I'm not leaving! I'm just going downstairs, now go to sleep!" he tells her, then walks out the door closing it behind him.