Chapter Two|| Shelter

Adrian above, played by Chris Evans.

{Katherine's POV}

I trotted behind my best friend, Stephanie's, house. I was close enough to mind link with her and hopefully, she can spare me some clothes.

'Hey, I'm outside... and I kind of need some clothes.' I spoke out to her and waited as I walked around in her backyard in a circle.

'What? I'm coming but why are you here?' Her words drifted through my mind and I sighed in relief.

'I'll explain inside, hurry please.' I replied and seconds later the backdoor opened and she held clothes in one hand and a small girl sat on her hip as she held her with the other.

"Wow, wolf form. I don't see you shift much anymore." She said placing the small girl on her feet and they walked down the porch stairs towards me. The younger girl held onto the leg of Stephanie worriedly causing Stephanie to laugh.

"She won't hurt you, baby girl," Stephanie said and I sunk to my belly showing the little girl I meant no harm.

Stephanie tossed down the clothes beside me and she had a towel under them. She let the towel drop to the ground as she held the top of it shielding me from view.

I shifted back and quickly pulled on the clothes.

"Thanks," I said and she folded the towel back up.

"Let me guess... You were late on your date with Eric again? And he got mad... started drinking... you ran off?" I guess this has become a thing.

"Yeah," I said sheepishly and she rolled her eyes.

"You can't keep doing this to him and vise versa." She said picking the little girl up again.

"Eh, he'll get over it," I replied and smiled at the girl. "Who's this cutie?" I asked causing the small girl to giggle.

"This is Ivy, the little girl I babysit that I told you about," She said looking down at the girl with admiration. "Ivy, this is my best friend Katherine! She is like a celebrity from the radio!" Stephanie over exaggerated and I rolled my eyes but couldn't help the grin that called its way onto my face.

Ivy just smiled at me and I laughed.

"I don't think I'm well liked," I told Steph who just shrugged.

"I wike you," Ivy said quickly and my eyes widened. 

She talks, but Ivy looked around the age of three or four so like came out as 'wike', how adorable.

"Let's go inside." I nodded and followed her back.

Once inside, Steph let Ivy down so she could run to her toys. After that, Ivy went into her own little world as Steph and I sat on the couch watching her.

"So who's her parents?" I asked quietly so Ivy wouldn't hear.

"She doesn't really have parents. Just a guardian. Her dad died in the war with the hunters. He was a single parent so she went to the godfather her dad had put on the will. It's alpha Adrian, Kate." She said looking at me and my eyes widened.

"Oh my Goddess, I feel so sorry, she lost her father so young... but the alpha watches her now?" She nodded.

"I always used to babysit her before her dad passed. He was a good man. He was Adrian's best friend actually." Wow.

"So, you get to see the alpha?" I asked curiously. She was lucky. Alphas are like celebrities. To talk to them is an honor.

"Nope. His third in command brings her over here and picks her up. Besides being alpha, he is a big-time CEO for his father's company he took over. He is busy a lot but when he is free he takes Ivy out. I think he feels guilty he isn't with her as much as he wishes to be. Sometimes he'll let her come to work with him, I've heard. Though, she doesn't like it much. He's a great guardian to her. She's was so young when her father died that she calls Adrian Daddy. Poor thing." Steph explained.

"Well, at least she got a loving father figure. Some aren't so lucky." Steph nodded her head in agreement.

"Now back to you and Eric." She stated and I groaned falling sideways on the couch.

"What is up with you lately? You never used to be late when you guys first started dating!" I shrugged looking away from her curious stare.

"Don't you shrug at me. You don't feel anything for him anymore do you?" She asked and I bit my lip.

"You don't!" She concluded and I sighed.

"I feel horrible, Steph. It's just... I'm so busy with the radio and trying to finish online school for college and I just forget things sometimes and we've just been drifting apart. Then he goes and tells me I don't need to work and he can take care of me. I don't want to be that woman, Stephanie! I love my job! I love school! I like taking care of myself." I felt so frustrated.

"Maybe you should talk to him about it." She offered and I shook my head.

"He won't listen to me. He never does."

"Well, you can't string him along, either." She retorted.

"I know... I'll tell him."

After our talk, I played around with Ivy and her toys some. She was such a sweet girl. She could easily get anyone wrapped around her finger in a day. 

Minutes later, there was a knock at the door and Stephanie stood.

"Come on, Ivy! Clark is here for you!" She chirped.

"Clarky! Bye Kathween!" Ivy squealed running towards the door. Awe! I'm officially 'Kathween'.

{Adrian's POV}

I walked around my office as I held papers in my hands.

"So we'll drop that investment and find someone else," I told my advisory staff member and he nodded.

"Of course, sir. Is that all?" I nodded and he stood with his things.

"I'll get right on it." I gave him another nod and walked to my chair sitting down and sighed.

I was too tired today.

As my Advisor opened the door to walk out I saw Ivy burst through the door past him and squealed as she ran towards me. I laughed turning in my chair to catch her just in time as she jumped into my grasp and I pulled her up on my lap.

"Hey, sweetheart. Did you have fun at Stephanie's house today?" I asked and she grinned.

"Adry, I had so much fun!" She exclaimed throwing her hands up. "I met a new fwend!" I chuckled at how it was hard for her to pronounce certain words.

"A new friend? Who?"

"Her name is Kathween! She came over as a woof!" Why was Stephanie letting Ivy near shifted pack members?

"A wolf? Did she now?" I asked.

"Yep! She was running away from another bad woof. Stephanie said Eric was mad again." She told me and I lifted a brow.

"Eric? Who's that?" Stephanie is going to need to start watching what she does and says around Ivy.

"I don't know." She replied and I sighed nodding.

It was probably the boyfriend of this 'Katherine'.

"How about we go for some ice cream, how does that sound?" I asked and her eyes lit up.

"Pwease, daddy!" I wanted to flinch at the words.

No matter how many times I corrected her and told her to call me Adrian or Adry, she'll still calls me her dad. I wasn't her dad. I'm not fit to be a father.

"Okay sweetheart, let's get your coat from Clark," I said standing up with her and placed her on my hip as we walked.

No matter what I thought, this little girl has me already wrapped around her finger. 

_________________________________________________________________

Opinions of Ivy and Adrian?

VOTE

COMMENT

SHARE