Chapter Twenty-Eight|| Need a getaway

{Katherine's POV}

I held my best friend in my arms as we both sobbed with happy tears. She was alive and okay and we had won this battle. Adrian kept his promise and once again amazed me. I thought I had lost her for good and I now scolded myself for almost giving up hope. I knew she wouldn't have with me.

"I'm so sorry. This was all my fault." I croaked out.

"Stop, Katherine, it was not. Stacy is just a bitch who always gets what she wants and now that she can't have Adrian, she's having a fit. You cannot let her win. I'm okay and this is now behind us. We have to move forward and put our minds into stopping her."

I knew she was right, but all I wanted to do right now was just sit with my best friend to relish at this moment fearing it could all be wiped away in seconds.

"Ladies, lunch is ready." Adrian said walking into his office and I smiled sending him a silent 'thank you' and he shot me a wink in return before retreating back out of the room.

***

"So our next plan is what?" Clark asked as he leaned up against the nearby wall in Adrian's office.

"We look around the areas that she could possibly be staying at close to the shipping yards," Adrian suggested.

"Wouldn't that be too easy, though? She would know that we'd come looking there." Stephanie spoke up.

"It doesn't hurt to look. She could also think that we would think that and not look there. Who knows with her. We need to look everywhere, though. The quicker we can find her, the quicker our lives can go back to normal." I shot back.

"So say we do find her, what next?" Clark asked and I shrugged looking to Adrian who sighed.

"The cells would be too easy on her. I'll send her to Mason, let him decide what to do with her."

I think that sounded like a marvelous idea.

"In the meantime, I'm taking Kate and Ivy away for a bit," Adrian stated and my eyes widened.

I was not informed about this.

"Isn't that...risky?"

"No. We'll leave late one night and be gone before anyone knows. Everyone will still think I'm here in the pack. We need to let things cool down for a day or two because she's going to be outraged when she realizes we got Stephanie back. Stephanie, you'll be under Clark's protection and watch while we're gone. I want my men scouting this pack day and night."

"Will you send any men with you for protection?" Clark asked and Adrian nodded.

"I'll have some trail us there and back and whatever we do while we're there."

"What is where exactly?" I asked, finally speaking up.

"New Jersey. There are some beach houses I have down there and it's close by to the pack."

"What about Ivy? Who would watch her?" Steph asked.

"Us. This isn't a vacation by any means. Think of it as an a...safe house. That's honestly what it is. I had it made a while back for something like this. An escape route, you could say. Just until we get a hold on everything."

"Isn't New Jersey in the Malevolent territory?" Adrian nodded.

"Yes, but we'll be fine. I already spoke to Alpha Evan. I had my houses there before his pack was reestablished and he didn't care much. As long as we stay out of one another's way, everything is good."

This seemed too good to be true.

"When do we leave?" I asked and Adrian looked at his watch.

"I was wanting to tonight. Before Stacy has a chance to retaliate." But that was so soon...I just got Stephanie back.

"I know that look, Kate, go...I'll be fine. I'm a big girl, and I have Clark here to help." Stephanie said already trying to push the worries from my mind.

"Okay, fine." Adrian looked surprised by my willingness to go, hell, even I was.

I just felt that maybe we did need a break away from all this. And even though it wasn't a vacation, I didn't care. Adrian, Ivy and I in a beach house sounded amazing. Even if it was a safe house.

"Get packing...we'll leave three am sharp," he stated.

"Won't it be suspicious with SUVs leaving your house at three in the morning?"

"No, I have a plan. There will be one car waiting at the road that leads out of our pack and into the Malevolent territory, so once we make it there, they'll lead us. When we leave here tonight, someone will trail us. Two cars will meet us halfway there to fully surround us. Should go smoothly. Stacy wouldn't dare to step onto Malevolent territory. Everyone knows not to mess with Alpha Evan if you're not a member."

Well, I guess we're doing this.

***

I loaded up my newly packed suitcase into the back of Adrian's SUV as he placed Ivy in her car seat, buckling her up. "I'm tired, daddy." I heard her whisper with a yawn following shortly after.

"I know, sweetie, go ahead and get some sleep." he kissed her on the forehead before backing away and shutting the door.

"You're next, sweetie." Adrian winked once he saw me taking in the scene before me and I let out a laugh.

He walked over opening my door for me and I got in, buckling up as well. "Do I need to kiss you on the forehead too?" he asked and I rolled my eyes at him.

"Get in the car, you're gonna make us off schedule," I stated and he just chuckled shutting my door and walked around getting in the driver's seat before starting the car up.

"Get some rest, babe, it'll be quite a drive."

"I don't know if I can. Plus, you need someone to talk to so you can stay awake." I pointed out.

"If you insist." he drove down the driveway and out of habit, he placed his free hand on my thigh as he drove.

It made me feel giddy for some reason. With our bond strengthening from our markings, I've just felt so giddy around him. The sparks and delicious tingles were almost too much.

I felt his grip tighten on my thigh and my heart jumped a bit. He felt it too.

"If you keep thinking the way you are, we won't make it to New Jersey," he stated and I let out a nervous laugh.

I wasn't thinking anything bad until he mentioned it. Now, certain thoughts were entering my mind that shouldn't be at the moment. Horrible timing.

"Your link is open." he reminded and I looked over, seeing his eyes starting to glow a light orange in the darkness of the night.

My face reddened and I glanced back seeing Ivy completely passed out.

"I wasn't thinking anything until you mentioned something about it."

"Bull, I-" he stopped talking and I gave him a confused look.

"You what?"

"Those...sparks you're feeling? That only happens when you're turned on, which my wolf quickly picked up from your scent. That's all I'm saying."

"Oh my gosh! We are not having this conversation right now!" I stated, covering my face and he belched out a laugh.

"You wanted to know."

How freaking embarrassing.

"I didn't know me touching your thigh would cause that."

"Shut up! Not talking about this! I'm going to sleep, goodnight!" I stammered out and shut my eyes trying to ignore his light snickering.

"I can help you out later at the beach house, though," he mumbled so lowly that I barely even heard it.

Oh, Goddess help me.

____________________________________________________

VOTE 

COMMENT

SHARE