Chapter Twelve|| Picking Sides

{Katherine's POV}

I stirred around the pot of chili I made and grinned with satisfaction. It smelled amazing.

Ivy sat in her chair with an excited expression. Stephanie was sick today so I decided to call in and stayed home with her much to Adrian's protest. He said he could but I knew he had work he needed to get done. After arguing, he agreed and kissed me goodbye before heading off.

I looked at my phone seeing it was him and he said he would be home for lunch...that's why I decided to cook. I hope he likes chili.

I scooped some out into a small bowl and placed it to the side letting it cool some before giving it to Ivy.

"Babe?" I heard a voice call and I grinned hearing Adrian approach the kitchen.

"In here," I spoke dissing out more chili into another bowl.

"You cooked." I heard him say as he walked up behind me wrapping his arms around my waist.

"I did," I said proudly...I never cook.

"Chili is one of my favorites too." He said with a small chuckle and placed a kiss on the base of my neck before letting go and walked over to Ivy.

I heard her squeal and I turned seeing he had picked her up attacking her cheeks with kisses. I wanted to 'awe' at the moment but I refrained.

"How's my little girl been today?" He asked as she smiled up at him.

"Kathween watched a movie with me!" She announced and he let out a fake gasp.

"She did?"

"Yes!"

"That sounds like fun." He placed her back in her chair before looking over and shooting me a wink and I smiled handing him a bowl.

"Thanks, babe." He placed the bowl where he usually sat and I handed him Ivy's bowl, which he placed in front of her.

I grabbed my own and some saltines before walking over and placed them on the table sitting down. Ivy had already picked up her small spoon placing some in her mouth and I laughed as she was getting it all over her mouth and cheeks.

"Here, Ives." Adrian chuckled out taking the spoon from her and feeding her some.

Adrian seemed to be...in a really good mood today and that made me in a good mood. Was it because of what happened between us last night?

"This is great, Kate, thanks." He said spooning some more in his mouth.

"It's nothing. I figured I could help out some and cook today. You always do."

"Because I like it." He shot back with a cheesy grin and I playfully rolled my eyes.

"Well, I wanted to help and besides, I like to cook too. I just usually barely have any time."

"Well, I appreciate everything you've done for me today. It means a lot." He thanked and I fought down the blush that threatened to rise.

"Yeah.."

After lunch, he helped me clean up and get Ivy cleaned up. I let her go to the living room and watch Spongebob as we did so.

"I'm going to have to get back to work soon. I was going to ask...Stacy wants to come to see Ivy tonight. Is that okay?" He asked me and I furrowed my brows.

"Why are you asking me? It's your house." I chuckled placing the last dish away in the cabinet.

"No, it's your house too now. I know you're not that comfortable around her yet either."

"Adrian, I'm a mature person. It's her brother's kid and a good friend of yours, of course, she can come to see Ivy." I told him and he slowly nodded.

That really hurt to get out with a straight face. I didn't want to be anywhere near that woman.

"Okay, well I don't know exactly what time she'll be here but it'll probably be around dinner." He said and I nodded.

I'll make sure to be somewhere not here then.

"Kate, you'd tell me if something is wrong, right?" He asked and I wanted to shout 'obviously you know something is or you wouldn't be asking' but I mashed it down.

When I didn't reply he took my arm pulling me away from wiping down the counter and tugged me to him securing his arms around my waist.

"Babe?"

"It's just...I feel..." I didn't know how to get it out without making him angry.

"Nothing. I feel fine." I lied and tried to break free of his grasp.

"Don't. Do not do this again. Speak to me, Katherine. It's what you have to do in relationships you know. You talk. You don't get anywhere keeping everything in and acting fine. If something is upsetting you, tell me." He spoke sharply.

"Something feels off about Stacy. I don't know why but I don't get a good vibe from her, Adrian! There I said it, are you happy? I think she sees you differently than you see her and you're blinded by your 'friendship' to see that." He gave me a confused look.

"You think Stacy has a thing for me?"

"Yes! Not to mention the day you took Ivy and me to the park that I saw her text of 'round two?' on your phone." His eyes held amusement and I wanted to slap him for it.

"Babe...she was talking about round two in Mario Kart...We were playing with Ivy and Stacy beat me. She was just teasing me." He clarified and I wanted to slap myself.

"That doesn't change anything. I still think she feels something for you. She scared away all your previous girlfriends for that reason. She wants you for herself. I feel that if she wants me gone...she'll find a way to do it and I'm not comfortable sitting here waiting for it to happen." Call me a crazy girlfriend but I know when a girl wants a man...and she wants him!

"Katherine, you are making a big deal out of nothing!" I finally broke free from his grasp and rolled my eyes.

"This is why I didn't want to tell you! You get mad and you don't believe me!" I stated and he sighed.

"I'm not saying I don't believe you. I'm just... I don't think Stacy sees it that way. I think of her as a sister." He spoke and I just shook my head looking at the time.

"Don't you have to go to work or something?" I asked and he squinted his eyes a little probably wondering why I'm acting like this.

"Yeah. I do. We're not done with this conversation though." He snapped before turning and heading to wish Ivy goodbye. 

_______________________________________________________________

Thoughts?

VOTE

COMMENT

SHARE