Chapter Thirty-One|| Breakdowns

{Katherine's POV}

I watched as Adrian sat on the edge of the bed just staring at the wall before him. He was still in shock and I was too scared to try and get through to him. Three hours. Ivy had been missing for three hours. We tried everything. We had someone call her name over the speakers at the boardwalk, we looked everywhere, check the security footage, had our men out looking, asked around, but nothing gave us hope. It was all a dead end like she miraculously poofed into thin air.

I rested my head against the headboard just thinking. Was it Stacy? It had to be Stacy. I'm sure she caught wind of where we were and was lurking, just waiting to strike and she found her opening and she took it.

I hated her.

I was never one to use the word much but I HATED her with a burning passion. How could one be so decisive and horrid like her? She could be such a great woman, but her personality and her true self ruin it all.

I looked back at Adrian who now had his face in his hands. I sighed, crawling down beside him. I wrapped my arms around him and laid my head on his chest. "It's going to be okay, we'll find her." I tried to convince.

"Will we though?" his voice cracked and I closed my eyes.

"A few nights ago, I was in a mess about my friend being missing. I was ready to give up and accept defeat, but you wouldn't let me. You calmed me down and you told me nothing but true and good things. You got me through it and you found her. That is exactly what we're going to do. You're going to listen to me, calm down, and think for a second. You're already letting her win."

"It hurts," he stated, finally looking at me and my heart broke at his red, puffy eyes that held unshed tears.

"I know, Adrian, I know," I spoke tightening my grip around him.

"She...she was what got me going every morning after her father died. He was my best friend and one day he's with me drinking a beer and joking around and the next he's lying in a casket. It's not something you easily forget. Then I got informed that I would be given custody of Ivy. I was shocked and annoyed. I couldn't raise a kid and I didn't want to be reminded of my dead friend. It was shitty of me to think, I know, but I couldn't help it. Then, I felt guilty. If I didn't take her in, I'd be letting him down, so I did it. I was so scared, terrified even. She was so little at the time and hadn't even been in the world for that long. But that day I got her, she looked up at me with those big doe eyes and I was a goner and every day since I knew that with her being with me, so was he." he confessed and once again it felt like strings were attached to my heart and he was pulling on it.

"So I can't lose her. Ever. I-I have to get her back and I'll do anything. No matter what it takes."

Even if that 'what' was me.

"We'll get her back." I convinced nodding slowly as I came to terms with what was going to happen.

***

We returned that night to the pack. Word had got around and it was safe to say the pack was devasted. Their little princess was gone. The whole pack was in distress knowing their alpha was hurting. People gathered in parties to look for her. I was in awe at the pack that came together in order to help their alpha without even being asked to.

The next morning Adrian did a broadcast, and he hoped it reached out to Stacy. He was practically begging on live TV. I would have too if it were my child.

But that's when it came: a note. And guess who it was from! Stacy. That's where we currently were: reading the note sent from hell.

"She has Ivy and she is demanding for us to meet her alone if we want to see her again," Adrian announced to me and I sighed, running my hands through my hair.

"And she...wants me to take her as luna. I am to reject you in front of her," he added and I nodded.

"Of course," I replied, rolling my eyes and Adrian remained silent as he was thinking things over.

"We're doing it," I stated and his eyes whipped to meet mine.

"Like hell we are," he growled out, standing to his feet from his chair.

"She has your godchild, Adrian! We have no other choice!"

"There's always another choice! I already lost her, I'm not losing you too!"

"Bullshit! I'll reject you if I have to." I snapped back.

He looked offended. "Why are you behaving like this?"

"Because for once in your life, Adrian, there isn't another way! We have to do it for the sake of Ivy. It's just a rejection! It's not like we can't take each other back."

"We're already marked. It's dangerous! One of us could even die."

"We'll just have to be smart about it and make things quick. You reject me, you get Ivy back, and then we strike. We have to be practical."

He took a minute to think things over and sighed defeatedly before nodding. "Okay."

But little did he know I already was planning for something different. I knew Stacy was always three steps ahead. She'll see the strike coming before we even get a chance to. She'll have something else planned in case we do try to pull something over her.

But I had something she couldn't refuse: me.

My life for Ivy's.

After the rejection...she can kill me. And Adrian will be perfectly fine.

I never really felt important anyways. 

______________________________________________

OH SNAP

VOTE

COMMENT

SHARE