CHAPTER TEN.

→ CHAPTER TEN; ANOTHER SHELBY.

After spending the next few weeks getting back to her normal routine, Hannah was finally over the death of the baby that had been haunting her dreams. It was a heart-breaking situation, one that would stay with her for the rest of her career but there were other babies in Small Heath that needed Hannah's assistance, she couldn't give up on them. With sixty to eighty babies being born every month in Small Heath, Hannah was always at work. Her schedule hectic and non-stop, meaning she never got to speak to Michael. The two of them had made plans to speak again, arrange something romantic, but business and work got in the way for both of them.

The only time that Hannah had been near any of the Shelby's was when she went to see Esme for routine check-ups. Things had been going well during her third trimester and her due date was rapidly approaching, as was the wedding of Tommy Shelby and Grace Burgess. Hannah had not mentioned the wedding to nobody, she was still unsure on what to do. If she was to see Michael and discuss the day with him - so she had a proper date to the wedding - she would consider attending. Until then, she had no plans to arrive on the day.

Alexandra burst into the living room, bringing Hannah away from her day dream. Her face was flushed as she tried to breath out some simple words. Hannah looked at her with a confused expression before Alexandra finally spoke. "Esme Shelby has gone into labour. It's moving quickly which means you need to leave now. According to the woman on the phone, the head is already on show."

Hannah placed the tattered book that she was reading down on the desk besides her and stood up before straightening out her uniform. It had been a relaxing day up until this point, but she was sure that Esme would never give her any grief. Plus, there was a chance that she might bump into Michael and a good chat with him was what she needed.

+++

Hannah ran down the streets of Small Heath, unintentionally bumping into people and bashing them with her hard and heavy medical bag. Lots of apologies flew out of her mouth until she had succeeded in getting to the Shelby house. An older woman was waiting outside, and she recognised her as Michael's mother. Nerves started to build up as Hannah quickly ran towards the door, quickly smiling at the woman - ignoring her at the same time.

"It's early," Esme shouted once she saw Hannah walk through the living room door. Her dress was pulled up high as she rested on some pillows that Polly had placed there.

"Only by a few days, Esme. There is nothing to worry about," Hannah said with a comforting smile. "Right, let's get you checked."

Polly had made her way into the living room at this point as she eyed up Hannah. There was something interesting about the women in front of her and she had respect for Hannah, especially because of the job that she did. Not only that but Tommy had informed Polly of Hannah's fiery attitude that he had come across when she had visited him; that only increased Polly's admiration. It was rare to find people that would talk back to Tommy Shelby, even members of his own family rarely questioned him and his authority. However, Hannah had nothing to lose by standing up to the powerful man.

Polly walked over to Esme and leaned down to grab her hand. "I've been trying to stop her from pushing because the head is visible, needed her to wait for you."

Hannah raised her eyes to look at Polly and smiled before nodding. A heavy breath left Hannah's lips as she reached over to grab the gloves the medical bag. After a few more minutes of doing routine check-ups, like checking the heart beat and position of the baby, Hannah decided that it was time for Esme to start pushing.

"Are you ready, Esme?" Hannah asked as she reached to grab Esme's ankle. She pulled Esme's leg over her shoulder, giving Hannah better access to deliver the baby. "Esme, are you ready?" she repeated when Esme didn't respond.