CHAPTER FIFTY-ONE.

→ CHAPTER FIFTY-ONE; TABLE DISCUSSIONS.

[authors note: this is the conversation that lily and michael had when he broke up with her. so like before lily went round to the convent? idk lmao, it makes sense when you read. realistically this should have been chapter fifty but i like to do things different apparently????]

Michael paced around the kitchen area of Polly's house as he waited for Lily to return home. It was getting dark due to the advancing thunderstorm and Lily wouldn't risk messing up her hair and make-up, she always had a desire to look well.

A shopping trip with Polly was going on for longer than needed which panicked Michael. Polly had declared that she wanted to try and like Lily but Michael could see that his mother would never like Lily, the two women too different and their personalities destined to clash. If anything, the trip would be filled of phoney smiles and Polly making little digs towards Lily and her overbearing high-class accent which was truthfully rough on the ears.

If he was being honest, Michael could see that Polly was still waiting to see if Michael and Hannah would reunite. Polly had been waiting for ages for Michael to come back and sort things out with Hannah, she had not been informed of the recent update in their relationship though, Michael wanted Lily to be the first one to know. That way he could get through all of the bad stuff and appreciate the positives.

When the door finally opened and Lily sauntered into the house, Michael prepared himself for whatever was going to happen. He expected screaming and shouting, maybe some verbal abuse directed towards Hannah which would be hard for him to listen too. Lily was a fighter and she wasn't going to let Michael go so effortlessly.

"Polly has gone over to Finn's, I can't remember why," Lily said as she placed a couple of shopping bags down on the table top. There were no visible marks on Lily's face which was a good sign, Polly hadn't let her anger get the better off her. "What's wrong?" Lily asked, observing how preoccupied Michael looked despite him staring ahead at her.

Michael composed himself before taking a deep breath and pointing towards the table. "Just sit down please, Lily."

"What is all of this about, Michael?" Lily questioned with a chuckle. She had a bad feeling about the discussion that was about to happen and her mind was telling her to put her foot down and delay Michael from speaking the dreaded words but her inquisitiveness was also growing, her nosey side keen to find out what Michael was going to say. Michael would never leave her - that's what she kept telling herself.

"Sit and I will explain." Michael copied Lily and sat down across from her, his hands immediately going to his coat pocket where he took out the silver, metal tin and then a cigarette. After an extremely long drag, Michael finally began to speak and get his feelings out in the open. "I don't really know how to start this if I'm being honest, it's not going to be easy and you're probably going to hate me but I need you to understand, even if it is going to be painful."

"Go on."

"Do you remember that lass that we saw down on Moore Street, the midwife?" Michael asked, tilting to his head to the side. Lily remained still for a moment before nodding her head, how could she forget? "Well, she's my ex-fiancée."

Lily scoffed before shaking her head, she wasn't an idiot and she could see that there was clearly something between Michael and the mystery girl. She just believed that they were old friends who had fell out over something. "Yeah, I figured there was some history between the two of you when you sent me home so you could talk to her. Let me guess, she wants you back but you rejected her?"