CHAPTER FIFTY-FOUR.

CHAPTER FIFTY-FOUR; DANCING. 

Michael's words were like murder. He could say whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted and Hannah would be running to him like he was her life support. She needed him, craved him, adored him but she had to think - was she willing to leave Birmingham for a man such as himself? The trust was still being created, Lily was still hanging around Birmingham in hopes that Michael would change his mind and the tension in the convent was still thicker than smoke.

Moving away seemed like a fairy-tale. Nobody would know where they were and hopefully, no-one would look. All Hannah and Michael wanted was a chance to thrive and be themselves without persistent judgement and endangerment. In Small Heath, people got involved and trouble occurred practically daily, it was toxic for their relationship and the last few years had proved that. No matter how hard both Hannah and Michael tried, things would continue to get in the way of their relationship and damage it continually.

There were too many risks with leaving though and even if they moved to the other side of the world, the Shelby business would catch up with them eventually and bring them back to Birmingham. Would Hannah even find work elsewhere? She needed references which she wouldn't get if they just left and then there was Michael. The poor boy would be bored senseless, always feeling the need to busy himself with some sort of business work. He wouldn't last more than a week before he was twitching and desperate to place the infamous cap on his head, boss people around and do some gambling.

Birmingham had become part of their lives. Hannah and Michael were from two separate areas yet Birmingham ran through their blood now, it had become their home and forever would be. They weren't sure how much more they could take though.

Chilling in the office, Hannah played with an elastic band ball as she watched Michael scribble down notes, the sound of the factory workers chatting and getting on with their day in background of Hannah's little bubble. She felt most content when it was just the two of them, nobody bossing them about and giving out orders, no screaming babies or the loudness of the gambling den. It was just about tranquil.

"What are those notes for?" Hannah asked as she threw the ball onto the desk, giggling when Michael flinched from the unexpected sound.

"Just writing up the wages. Are you bored or something?" Michael asked. Hannah nodded and leaned back in her chair before placing both her legs on the desk being careful not to knock anything over. "Are you not at work today?"

"I did my district rounds this morning and none of my patients are due for about a fortnight," Hannah told him. "Do you want to go dancing tonight?"

Michael chortled before looking up at Hannah and shaking his head. "No sweetheart, I don't. I'll happily take you out for dinner though."

"We can go out for dinner and then we can go dancing, that seems fair," Hannah suggested, her most pleasant smile on her face as she grinned at Michael, hoping that he would cave in and agree to the dancing part of the deal. "Please," she sang, her teeth on show as she tilted her head up slightly.

Michael was persistent though, he was not going to go dancing. "Dinner and a few drinks at The Garrison, how does that sound?"

"It sounds very romantic, Michael Gray," Hannah mumbled sarcastically, her smile falling and her arms crossed. "Dinner, a few drinks at The Garrison and then we can come back to yours, stick a record on and dance in the living room."

Michael rolled his eyes before nodding. "Right, that's it then, yeah? No more of this dancing nonsense, my love," Michael chuckled, the pen in his hand pointing towards Hannah. "If you are bored then I have something errands that need doing if you want to do - "