CHAPTER FORTY-NINE.

CHAPTER FORTY-NINE; REUNITE.

Before Michael had arrived back from America, Hannah did everything she could to avoid Watery Lane, not wanting to see any of the Shelby's or any associates. Now that Michael was back, Hannah used Watery Lane every single day in hopes of seeing Michael again. She understood that he was probably in the more upmarket part of Small Heath where his mother resided but Hannah didn't want to rock up on the doorstep and Lily be there, she needed to catch Michael when he was alone so there were no interruptions.

Over a week later, Hannah's wish finally came true. As she walked around the corner onto the road, she spotted Michael walk into the betting shop alone, his hand clinging onto some paperwork. Thankfully, Hannah had only been given the morning rounds to do so she was free for the rest of the day, no disturbances and no work stopping her from being away from Michael.

Not even bothering to knock, Hannah walked straight into the betting shop and placed her medical bag down on the dining room table with a thud. There was noise coming from the main room, Michael's voice distinguishable before it trailed off and became silent, some other employee taking over the conversation.

It took Hannah a good few minutes to build up the confidence to walk straight in, she knew that people would stare and question her reasoning for being there but it was none of their business. They could all gossip as much as they wanted, they would never know what happened between Hannah and Michael when the two of them where alone having private discussions.

Hannah was completely right, people did stare and they didn't try to hide it either. They were all familiar with Hannah and the drama that had occurred but none of them said anything as they watched Hannah look around the room, double checking that Lily and Tommy were not in sight. The last person she wanted to see was Tommy.

"He's in Tommy's office," one of the workers said, providing Hannah with a comforting smile. "Alone."

Hannah took a deep breath before mouthing a thank you and then she began her walk to Tommy's office. She slowed down her movements as she tried to rack her brain and figure out what she was going to say. The argumentative side of her was growing but she didn't want any more quarrels, there had already been too many. All she wanted was to tell Michael what she had been thinking about for the past week even if it did make her look desperate.

"Michael," Hannah mumbled as she stepped inside, a smile on her face as she interrupted his soft singing.

Michael looked up from the paperwork with a shocked expression, he had not expected to see Hannah again for a while. Every part of him wanted to go around to the convent but there was a chance of the sisters being there and Michael didn't fancy being on the receiving end of Sister Maria's temper. It would only make things worse anyway.

"Hannah."

The whole exchange was awkward for a few moments as the two of them found their place in the office, Hannah sitting on one side of the desk and Michael sitting on the other.

"How have you been?" Michael asked, cringing at his own question. Hannah had been feeling like shit for last week, full of sadness and jealousy. Michael had been feeling the same way, without the jealousy, and Lily had sensed that something was wrong but she didn't question it.

Hannah rolled her eyes before responding. "Yeah, fantastic. I think this last week has been the best week of my life," Hannah sarcastically said before mentally cursing herself, she wasn't going to be argumentative or petty. "How do you think I've been?"

"I'm sorry," Michael mumbled before nodding over towards Tommy's drinking cabinet. It had been a while since it had been used, Tommy spending most of his time away from Watery Lane as he didn't want to be reminded of all the dark times. "Do you want a drink or anything?"