CHAPTER FORTY.

→ CHAPTER FORTY; A SURPRISE VISIT. 

"I've been waiting for you."

Hannah almost had a heart attack as she walked into her bedroom, not expecting to be ambushed by Alexandra who was sat on Hannah's bed with that dreaded card in her hand. Hannah gulped before rushing over to grab it but she wasn't quick enough and Alexandra moved her hand away with speed before Hannah could get it. Hannah felt like stomping her feet in the ground like a teenager as she continued to try and grab the card.

"How did you find that?" Hannah asked, still attempting to grab hold of it. She didn't know why she was attempting to take it from Alexandra, it was obvious that her best friend had already read the card. Hannah just thought that if she could get it back then Alexandra wouldn't have the chance to share it with Sister Maria and Sister Margaret. She was only just back in their good books, she didn't need to be back at the bottom all over again.

"I was going to rearrange the bedroom around, sort it out seen as it's become a bit of a mess lately, and this fell from behind the draws, it's not a very good hiding place Hannah, I thought that you would have done better than that," Alexandra said with a sigh. "When was you going to tell me about all of this? It's not just something that you keep to yourself."

"There's nothing to tell, it's just a Christmas card, that's all, nothing else to it," Hannah said, hoping that Alexandra didn't know the meaning behind the black hand. If Hannah didn't know, then she was sure that Alexandra wouldn't either. However, Alexandra continued to surprise Hannah, turns out she knew exactly what a black hand meant within criminal organisations.

"Then why are you acting all shady if it doesn't mean anything. I'm not an idiot, Hannah, so just tell me the truth. This has something to do with what happened on Christmas Day, doesn't it?"

Hannah shook her head adamantly, how was she going to get out of this one? "I have no idea what you mean, Alexandra. Can I have it back now?"

"Why was it hidden?" Alexandra questioned, her eyes squinted as if she was trying to read Hannah's body language.

"I didn't mean to hide it, must have fell down the back of the draws by itself. Can I have it back now please?" Hannah held her hand out with a fake smile on her face, Alexandra still didn't give it to her.

"I know what a black hand means, you know? It's something that the Italian's use when they are using - "

"Can I have the card back please?" Hannah interrupted, her voice louder and sterner. She was starting to lose patience.

"Was it the Italians that shot Michael and John? You know you can tell me anything, I won't judge and I won't care. Well, I will a little bit but that's beside the point. Are you in danger? Has Michael dragged you into more mess? We can send you down to London if you need protection for a while, I know that the main hospital down there was looking for new employees."

"Alexandra!" Hannah shouted before taking a deep breath. "Please, just give me the card back before I say or do something that I will regret."

Hesitantly, Alexandra gave Hannah the card, her eyes never leaving Hannah's. Alexandra wanted to know the truth and she wanted to know it there and then so she could keep in the loop about what was going on in Hannah's private life. Maybe she didn't have the right to know but she was concerned and worried about whatever was happening was going to affect Hannah in a bad way.

"Just tell me the truth, Hannah, otherwise no-one can help you out."

"I don't need any help, I promise. It's just some daft vendetta that Tommy has with the Italians but it doesn't involve me in the slightest and it never will, alright? As for Christmas Day, Michael and John were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. It was a case of mistaken identity," Hannah said in an attempt to brush it off as nothing. "Do you know what's the lunch?"