dent

Jaida

"Honestly, I'm never drinking again. I'd lost a shoe, one of my brand new false eyelashes are nowhere to be seen and my car has a massive dent in the back." Rose explained as she manoeuvred the car through a roundabout.

"Hon, I know you are hungover but you missed the obvious sign of the mechanic's," I said looking back at Smithfield's only mechanic store.

Smithfield being such a small town, we had little range of facilities to offer. However, luckily there was another town twenty minutes after town limits. Darnley had more shops, more people and more fun. Rose and I usually went clubbing in Darnley to avoid running into people we know but we chose to celebrate our graduation closer to home.

"No, we are heading to Darnley. To the mechanic's that sold me this gorgeous car. They always have the parts and fix for my baby beetle" she replied.

I nodded my head at her answer. "Can you drop me off at work after so I can grab my paycheck today?"

"If you want a bloody car service, call yourself an uber" she reprimanded.

"I'd rather drive with you my darlin'" I give her a big smile and her frown instantly dissolved.

"Fine, but my car might take a while. Is that okay with you, Your Majesty?" she asked mockingly.

I simply laughed at her immaturity.

O-o-h Child by Five Stairsteps started playing on the radio. Turning the volume of the radio higher, I turned to grin at her. As soon as the lyrics started pouring in, we both sang loudly and off-tuned for the rest of the car ride.

"Ooh-oo child,
Things are gonna get easier.
Ooh-oo child,
Things'll get brighter.
Ooh-oo child,
Things are gonna get easier."

She most likely had forgotten about prying details out of me. That was fine with me since I have no idea how to explain last night.

The auto shop was an old building with a red torn down sign detailed with 'Cherie's Cars' in bold black letters. Rose parked the car in the drive and entered through the garage door rather than the office. A desk situated next to the door of the office had a blond headed man leaning over with a pen behind his ear and papers in his hands.

I turned around to find Rose but she was already trotting her way into the office, no doubt to talk to the manager of the place. With nothing else to do, I walked around. Surveying the area, I saw that a corner in the far back had shelves and shelves stacked with car parts and tools. The rest of the garage showcased cars for sale and cars in repair. No car could have been as young as the 1990's. They were all vintage, some were classics and some were simply vintage.

Walking down the garage, I found a 1969 Mustang Camaro. A little rustic on the edges, the black paint still shiny in most areas, the wheels newly cleaned. The car was beautiful.

"Excuse me, need any help?" I jumped when I heard someone's voice. Turning around, I see the blonde guy smiling politely at me.

"Sorry, didn't mean to scare you" he chuckled.

"No harm was done. And that was a no to your question. I'm just having a look" I smiled in return.

His eyes roamed over me, head to toe.

"You don't seem like one to be interested in cars. I'm sure I can teach you something or two about them. But just so you know, this is a Mustang. 1970 Camaro." he said clearing his throat.

It was my turn to chuckle. "1969 Mustang Camaro actually. Don't judge a book by its cover hon."

He smiled at me with wonder and amusement. It pricked me with a slight sense of irritation that he needed to boast his knowledge.