sonnet

a/n: it's 2:30 am. today's not my day. yesterday wasn't either, for that matter. round of applause to @fearless_pineapple for the bomb cover. 

Xavier

I was running late.

After dropping Jaida off at her house, I let to go home but not before making a quick pit stop. With Jaida in mind, I bought a present for her. Once I exited the rustic store, I had an estimated fifteen minutes to get home and pack.

Jaida and I had agreed to drive the four hours over there and whilst roaming around at the shops earlier that day, she'd booked an apartment on Airbnb for our weekend stay. I'd offered my credit card to her but she mouthed me off with some very colourful swear words.

"Fuck off. You're only going because of me so I'm paying," she barked.

Rushing up the stairs, Calista followed me into my room hammering me with questions.

"What's going on?" She asked opening my bedroom door wide.

"Jaida and I are going out of state for the weekend and-," I grabbed the duffel bag above my wardrobe. "And?" She asked impatiently. "Well, I'm getting ready," I said dubiously.

"Can I come?"

I paused and eyed her as I folded my Calvin Klein. "I-I don't think so," I said hesitantly and watched the disappointment slowly wash over her face. "How come?" She asked quietly.

"I'm sorry, love," I tried saying but she began to chant, please. I stopped folding and fully turned to her. Releasing a harsh breath, I smiled. "Go ask-," I hadn't finished my sentence yet and Calista was squealing out the door. Rubbing my ear, I tried to get the ringing out of my ear and listened to the heavy footsteps of hers down the steps. 

"MA?!" I heard her yell, excitedly. Smiling to myself I finished packing, remembering to bring some church shoes along.

"Ooompf", I felt the wind get knocked out of me and my head fall forward with the force of a slap on the back of my head. "What?" I whined and turned to Cherie's displeased face. 

"You look after my favourite child, you hear me? If she comes home dying, I'll whoop your ass across the fucking Atlantic Ocean. If she goes missing," she paused seemingly lost in thought, "good riddance." She was grinning like a mad woman, both of us ignoring Calista's offended look. "Go, pack your things!" We both ordered in unison. 

"You need a dress!" I screamed after her. 

"Where are you going?" Cherie shoved me back and grabbed one clothing item after another, folding them properly.

"Jaida's cousin's wedding," I said trying hard to not sound bitter. But you know what they say, mother's know best. Cherie studied me with her perceptive eyes and nodded slowly. "Is Jaida okay?"

I nodded knowing that it was Jaida's place to tell and not mine. 

"She will be. I'll make sure of it," I whispered to myself once Cherie left the room.

Ten minutes had passed by the time Calista and I got inside Jordanna. I scrambled to secure my seatbelt and start the engine.

"What's this?'

I turned around to manoeuvre my way out of the driveway safely and saw Calista holding a Victoria Secret shopping bag on her lap. Shit

"It's for you," I said as if it was obvious. "Dipshit," I muttered for good measure. Can't let the child know that I actually like her. No way, love.

But she teased a smile out of me when she mouthed a soft thank you.

"I won't tell mummy on you for breaking the shower curtain rod," she said cheekily and I rolled my eyes as dramatically as I could muster before ignoring her for the rest of the five-minute ride.