cherie

Jaida

The doorbell rang.

That wasn't two minutes! Lying son of a bitch!

I got off the couch and ran to the door, practically gliding my socks against the wooden floors. I see Rose waving through the glass framing. I opened the door prepared for her most likely lengthy scolding.

"Hey- wait- what the fuck are you wearing?" she asked frowning. I swear I saw her eye twitch in obsessive anger.

"I'm sorry I forgot to cancel on Bess's dinner tonight. Something happened at the restaurant and I-I-I just didn't feel like going and Xavier said he'd keep me company and so I didn't bother asking you to drop out on Luke and Bess too. And I know I'm being cryptic as hell but we still haven't talked about club night and so we need to schedule some time for us to talk through it and Reds and whatever else I've missed or you have. I'm really sorry hon!" I rambled without so much as a pause for inhaling oxygen.

She shook her head. "Hey, don't worry about it. I'm not mad you're cancelling. Also, did you say Xavier? Isn't that mechanic hottie? Anyway, tomorrow's Sunday. I'm coming over for lunch so we can talk then, yes?" she smiled. I could see the worry on her face, she must have heard about the events at Reds from Pops or maybe she could see my unease.

"Yes, bring Luke over. I think it's high time that I become better friends with my best friend's second best friend. And yes, Xavier. We'll talk more about him tomorrow. Thank you hon for y'know," I told her.

She blushed at the mention of Luke and nodded a sure. Something had definitely happened on her end. "Did you just wake up or partake in any sexual activities with a certain mechanic hottie?" she asked.

Bewildered, I questioned her. "How could you possibly know that?" I swear, this woman knew everything.

She combed her hands through her hair and pointed at her lips.

Shit. My lipstick must be smudged and my hair needs fixing after- well, Xavier.

I watched her walk down my doorstep wiggling her eyebrows with a wide grin across her face. Once she drove off, I closed the front door.

Returning back to the couch, I saw Xavier laying there. He patted the space next to him. I laid down with my back against his chest and he covered us both with the blanket placing a heavy arm around my waist.

It felt wrong and right spooning but it's what I wanted. I allowed it this one time.

"Mechanic hottie, huh?"

Xavier

I checked my watch, it was seven in the morning. Jaida was fast asleep on the couch. I placed a kiss on her forehead and muttered a goodbye. Waking from her sleep, she opened one eye at me. "Bye? No, stay!" she said in a raspy low voice.

"I'm sorry love but Eric called in sick so today, I have to go," I explained.

"Noobinine," I hear her reply. I chuckled at the insult that her sleep induced brain formed.

"Sorry love," I apologised again smiling. She didn't reply. I heard a slight hum in response.

I left her house and started the car. I turned off the radio and let yesterday's events replay in my head.

I was the manager on duty yesterday, I wasn't exactly meant to have abandoned Eric, at least not for that long. When I texted Eric to close the shop up, I saw numerous messages from Cherie. She wasn't angry but worried why I left when I barely allow myself to leave for a lunch break. Her last message made me laugh.