• chapter 23 •

• Eliza •

When Thomas and Alex first left the restaurant, I thought they were just going to talk it out. Turns out that's not the case.

I heard shouting from outside a few minutes later and knew it was them, so I paid the bill, found the owner of the restaurant and sprinted outside.

Sure enough, there was my Alexander, getting shaken around like a rag doll by Thomas. I shouted Alex's name and Thomas ran off with the owner, who called the cops. I sat down on the cold ground and put Alex in my lap. He said my nickname and promptly passed out.

I knew from other experiences that he didn't have a concussion and he just needed to get cleaned up and rested. I picked him up and carried him to the car, laying him down in the backseat and driving off to the mansion.

As soon as I got there, I silently brought him upstairs so I didn't alert Angelica.

"Back already, guys?" She called.

"Yeah. We just went out for dinner." I said, trying to keep the nervousness out of my voice.

I set Alex down on the little chair in my bathroom and got a wet rag to clean him off.

Halfway through cleaning him up, Alexander regained consciousness and immediately groaned.

"Eliza? What happened? Ow, God my nose hurts. And my head. And everything." I shushed him as I finished wiping away all the blood. He had a black eye and swollen nose, as well as tons of bruises littering his body, and some cuts on his face.

"Hey Liza... why's my shirt off?" He smirked. I blushed a little, bit meeting his gaze but instead putting ointment on the various bruises on his face and chest.

"Aw, c'mon babe, you don't need to be embarrassed. I know, I'm pretty hot." I had to laugh a little at that. I mean, he wasn't wrong. He had carved abs and soft, tan skin. So don't blame me for staring.

"You got in a fight with Thomas at the restaurant." I said shortly. I didn't like violence and I knew Alexander had at least thrown one punch at Thomas. I didn't condone fighting, especially when it hurt someone I loved.

"Ah shit. I'm so sorry, Liza. I ruined our date by fighting him. But he was being an asshole, especially to you." He said. My eyes filled up with tears again when I remembered what Thomas had called me. A "secretly suicidal bitch". That one stung. How could I have been so careless? What if someone found out? Why didn't I just pay attention to my sleeves?

"Eliza, it's alright. I'm here." Alexander said, taking my hand.

"Alex, he knows! What if someone finds out? And he hit you! What if he hurt you more and we don't know? I can't lose you!" I began to cry into my hands, turning away from Alex and starting to get up to leave the bathroom when he caught my arm.

"Eliza, I'm sorry. I really didn't want to fight him but I'm ok. And if someone finds out then we can help you better, but we'll have to cross that bridge when we get to it. But right now, it's just us, and we're ok, alright? We will be ok." He said. I fell into his shoulder and he gasped in pain, as I probably hit a bruise. I tried to back away, apologetic, but he pulled me close again and held me there anyways.

"I love you." I heard him mumble to me. My head shot up in surprise, but I found myself wanting to say it back. So I did.

"I love you, too." I said to him, then kissed his split lip softly.

It's not how I pictured we'd say that we loved each other for the first time, but somehow it was beautiful. In our own, special little way.