• chapter 31 •

• Alexander •

Today's it. My first real Thanksgiving.

You know, it sounds kind of weird to say that you're having your first Thanksgiving when you're 17, but hey, I never claimed to have the most normal life.

Eliza's been rushing home and herself around all day to prepare for her family, who are supposed to arrive in about 2 hours. I personally think she's occupying herself as much as she can so she doesn't have to think about not having her mother for the holiday.

I think my mom would've liked to celebrate Thanksgiving. Like I told Eliza, we never had enough money for food in general, let alone a whole holiday where it's the center of attention.

"Alex, can you set up the tables and chairs and stuff?" Eliza called as she flitted around the kitchen, preparing this and that and trying not to bump into Peggy, who just wanted to sneak some mashed potatoes.

"Yep." I called, not sure if she heard me because she was busy scolding Peggy for trying to steal food.

"Well I'm sorry that you won't let any of us in the kitchen! I'm hungry!" Peggy whines, picking Eliza's car keys off the counter.

"Where are you going?" Eliza and I said at the same time. Peggy smirked at our in sync question and called back,

"Wendy's!" Eliza dashed over and shoved a 10 dollar bill in her hand.

"Get me my usual, and Alex whatever he wants. I can tell he's starving too." I just laughed a bit at her and told Peggy what I wanted before she ran off to get the food.

Eliza shot off back to the kitchen and I set up the folding tables and chairs, and set the tables. They didn't really have that big of a family, just two aunts and uncles and five cousins, as well as two sets of grandparents.

I was really excited to meet Eliza's whole family. Insanely anxious, sure, but excited. From all the stories I've heard, her family is really sweet and her little cousins are totally hilarious. There are 3 boys and 2 girls, all between the ages of 3 and 11.

After Peggy came back and the 3 of us ate, we were pretty much done setting up and cooking, so Eliza and I decided to just flip down on the couch and watch Netflix for a while.

"Sorry I've been kind of controlling these past few days." She said, taking my hand as she rested her head on my shoulder.

"No! You just want it all to be good for your family. It's all good babe." I said, kissing the top of her head as she selected Greys Anatomy.

"Eliza, no! We can't watch this, you know you'll cry, just like every other time!" I said as she smirked against my chest.

"Yeah, but it's such a good show! And it used to be a tradition with my mom. Before a lot of holidays we'd watch really sad movies or TV shows and then once the family arrived we'd see who could cover it up the best." She smiled sadly at the memory and I rubbed her shoulder and held her tighter.

"Then let's watch." I smiled.

- a few very sad episodes later -

"Oh my god Eliza I seriously can't believe we decided to do that!" I said, wiping away a few tears that lingered. I mean, how can you not cry at Greys?

"I'm sorry! I didn't know he was going to die! Actually that's not true. Someone always has to die on a hospital show. But still!" She laughed, her red rimmed eyes lighting up as she did so.
God, she's still gorgeous even after sobbing for 30 minutes.

"Alex? You're staring. We need to answer the door?" She waved her hand in front of my face and I snapped out of her beauty induced trance.

"Sorry. Just admiring how insanely beautiful you look right now." She blushed and hit my chest lightly, pulling me up off the couch and jogging us over to the door.

"Hi! It's been so long!" She said as she opened the door, being pounced on by pretty much her whole family at once as they entered the mansion.

"Eliza, Eliza!" Her little cousins shrieked, bouncing around her. Angelica, Peggy and their dad all came downstairs to greet everyone.

"And who are you?" Eliza's grandmother asked me.

"Oh! Everyone, this is my boyfriend, Alexander." She introduced me, taking my hand happily as our group moved to the living room, where Greys had been switched to some random Disney movie to occupy the kids.

"Nice to meet you all." I said, and immediately they all shared a look and attacked me like they did Eliza, in a huge group hug.

"Welcome to the family, Alex." I heard someone say. I just laughed and hugged back, happy to finally be part of a family again.

a/n: here's your hamliza to hold you over til my next update. sorry I haven't updated, if you haven't read my a/n chapter please read it so you know why I'm not here. I promise, I'm not slacking, just dealing with family and my own issues. Thanks for reading and your support.