• chapter 29 •

• Eliza •

Instead of spending more time dwelling on the fact that Alex relapsed, we went back to my house to talk about the competition that was very quickly approaching, and how we didn't have our costumes designed yet.

"I like your original idea. Should we just keep it and have me wear a green shirt or something?" Alex said, holding out my notebook.

"Yeah, but I kind of want a new one. Because it's a different song and dance and stuff, you know?" I asked, unsure of using my original plan. He nodded and shrugged.

"Well, you're clearly the artist here, and I'm good with whatever, so it's up to you." He said after a moment of thinking, then kissed me before he stood up.

"I'm gonna run to get food, do you want anything from somewhere?" He asked, lingering at the door of the dance room.

"My usual from Taco Bell?" I asked hopefully, and he smiled and nodded.

"I'll be back soon. Love you." He callers as he walked out, leaving me alone with my ideas.

The tempo of the song isn't very fast, and in my mind I associate speed with bright colors, so those are out. Maybe something pastel?

I sort through my options. A nice toned down pink could be nice. After all, it is a pas de deux, and our choreo represents the love between two people. Pastel pink it is.

I sketch a plain dress to start like always, and add a shirt on the side for Alex. He's just going to wear a shirt and pants, so it's mostly my design I need to focus on.

I draw a sweetheart neckline, which I use often because I love the look of it. I decide to sketch some little gems on there to add sparkle, as well as sequins and gems scattered on the skirt. The back will have crossed straps and I think a braided bun will look good with it.

When I'm finished sketching and coloring, Alex is back with food and I've just finished texting the pictures of my drawing to Hercules.

"I'm always blown away at how good you are at drawing, Eliza. You have talent." Alex smiled as he flipped through the book, which he did often. I've noticed more than ever lately that he had a few things he did a lot, like little nervous ticks almost.

"Why thank you." I smiled and leaned forward, gently connecting our lips and taking his hand in mine.

"Can you believe there's only a month and a half until the competition? We submitted our entrance form, right?" Alex asked after we pulled apart.

"I know, it's crazy how quickly the year has gone by. 2017 will be over in a little over a month, that's so weird. And yes, I submitted the form this morning before school." I answered. He nodded and we fell into a comfortable silence, something that happened often between us.

We were sitting on the floor, like usual. Since I started dating Alex, we always just sat in the floor, like when we first kissed. I sometimes thought about putting chairs in here, but I decided it takes up too much room and we won't even sit in them anyways.

I started eating my food and so did Alex, neither of us caring that the fake-Mexican food was going to make the studio smell weird and greasy later.

A lot of people, including Angelica the most, ask me if having a boyfriend means doing something constantly to keep the other happy. I never really knew the answer until now.

Alex and I could just be laying on the floor eating, not even talking, and still have a good time. Love isn't about what you do with someone, it's about the someone themselves.

God, I'm so in love.