Chapter 9

Miranda went to the balcony just as Xanun instructed her. The courtyard overlooked a river of lava that begins from a waterfall. She drew her blade and started swinging it around as a warm-up before Xanun comes.

Xanun came to the courtyard just as she finished, being accompanied by Jynera. "Alright, Miranda, let's begin," he said.

He took a piece of broken brick and placed it before her. "First off, telekinesis. Lift that broken piece of brick."

Miranda stretched her hand forward and focused on the brick. Nothing happened. She tried again and this time, the brick started to wriggle. She got excited and by that, lost her focus.

"Not bad, try again," her mentor encouraged her.

She took a deep breath and did the same. This time, the brick started to lift itself into the air.

"Good, now pull it towards your hand."

The rock slowly moved towards Miranda's stretching hand. Then once it was in reach, she grasped her fingers around it.

"Now slowly, send the rock to me." Xanun opened his right hand.

Miranda let go of her grip and the rock slowly floated away from her towards Xanun. He grabbed the rock once it was in his reach.

Feeling accomplished, she smiled towards Xanun and Jynera who was watching her progress.

Jynera smiled back. That brought questions to Miranda's head. "Who is Jynera really?" she asked Xanun.

"What?"

"Is she your friend?"

"I suppose you can say that." He thrust the stone with magic towards Miranda. Her demonic reflexed caught it before it could hit her. Xanun walked to the edge of the balcony and put his hands on the railing, gazing into the distance.

"Tell me about it," Miranda persuaded him.

"Our history goes way back to when we were young. I was playing in the plains with all the other demons. But then I saw a lone girl staring at us in the distance. I asked who she was and they said she's not welcome in their play group. So out of pity, I approached her. I asked her her name and we started to play just like any other demon. We often play hide and seek in this castle, travel together and do all sorts of things. But in doing so, they also looked down on me just like what they did to her. But that's fine since I preferred her company a lot more than all those other kids."

"What else did the two of you do?" Miranda looked at Xanun, getting more interested in their backstory.

"We often spar with our blades."

Coming to think of it, Miranda knew that his relationship with Jynera is a lot like her's and Kale's. "What's next on our magic training list?"

******************

And there you have a brief history about Jynera. Hope you enjoyed this chapter. Don't forget to leave comments and vote.😊