Chapter 14

All eyes flew to the sight of the white marble colossus. It was both majestic due to its appearance and scary at the same time because of its destructive potential.

Xanun watched as the colossus moved its head in an effort to find something, or someone. He knew that it was looking for him, and if he's found, he will be doomed in a way or another, sooner or later.

"What do we do?" Miranda asked, feeling the same fear as the people around her.

"We bring it down," Xanun said. He wasn't going to it for Ivydown's people, especially when Atlas was there, but having Jynera with him gave every reason to fight.

Xanun charged towards the white colossus with Jynera and Miranda closing behind him. He jumped and hung onto the colossus' belt. He made his way up towards its torso when its head looked down and spotted him. Then its hand moved in and grabbed him.

"Miranda!" Xanun shouted. "The sword!"

Miranda drew her blade and threw it towards Xanun in just one movement. Xanun grabbed the sword and plunged it into the colossus' gripping thumb, and as if it could actually feel, it let go of him in a reflexive movement.

Xanun held on to its thumb and pulled himself up on the colossus' wrist and began running up his arm. The colossus used its other hand to stop Xanun but it was too slow and he made it up its right shoulder. The colossus continued to try to get the demon off him.

Xanun climbed up over its head, avoiding the hand that was about to grip him again, and with great force, he plunged the sword into the colossus' forehead.

The colossus turned around, trying to shake Xanun off. But all it did was give him the attention of the seraphim.

The platoon commander caught a glimpse of Xanun on the colossus' head  through his spyglass.

"Ready the tanks!" he ordered. The tank drivers immediately loaded the heavy projectiles into their guns.

Xanun overhead the seraphim. He needs to think of a way to use those heavy projectile attacks against themselves.

"Fire!" The commander shouted. Loud noises came from the tanks that fired the heavy projectiles. Xanun quickly pulled the blade out and took cover by going behind the colossus' head.

The idea flushed itself into his mind - he would use their cannon fire against themselves by making them hit their colossus. Xanun smiled and went to expose himself by going in front of the colossus' neck.

The seraphims fired another round of projectiles and Xanun simply dodged them before they hit him, making them hit the colossus instead. He looked to the smashed covering of the colossus, it was full of gears, springs, and other kinds of machinery.

The colossus' hand flew in to grab him again. Xanun made his way to its elbow with great speed and held onto it. "Hey I'm over here!" His plan was to get them to shoot the it and render one arm useless.

The seraphims did just as Xanun wished - they fired their guns towards the elbow, and Xanun evaded the blow within the last second. Gears and machines fell away from the dismembered arm. One arm was useless, time to take out the other one.

With great force, Xanun took one giant leap to the other arm and encouraged the seraphims to fire at him again. But now they knew of Xanun's plan to take out their big gun, so they held their fire; and instead, the commander ordered his men to fly up and kill Xanun where he was.

Seeing the mobilized angels approaching, Xanun climbed up to the colossus' shoulder where he can stand on both feet.

The first angel charged at him with a sword in hand. Xanun parried it and thrust his left hand forward, sending the seraphim away in a knock back with telekinetic force, hitting two of his comrades that were right behind him.

Another seraphim came, landing on the same grounds as Xanun. He swung his sword which Xanun parried. While their blades were in contact, Xanun quickly thrust the blade into the angel's chest and pulled it out just in time to block another seraphim's blade. The seraphim flew back a couple feet, readying to charge at full speed. Xanun, being faster, grasped the seraphim with magic and pulled him towards himself while he pointed the blade on the seraphim, impaling him.

No choice now, Xanun used his magic to forcefully tear the colossus' forearm from its upper arm, rendering it useless. More seraphim soldiers flew towards him with their weapons drawn, which he can handle easily. But one of them flanked Xanun and kicked him, sending the demon a  fall.

Xanun's quick instincts told him to plunge the blade into the colossus' chest so that he wouldn't land on the hard ground to his doom. The blade cut through the marble covering, revealing a faint blue light coming from the chest.

On seeing it, Xanun immediately knew it has to be the power core. He climbed up the chest and cut a hole big enough for him to enter, and before his eyes, lay a sphere glowing in a brilliant blue light. He walked towards it and he slowly sense its angelic energy getting stronger. He ignited his hands with the demonic, green flame and trapped the orb it between his burning hands. He needs to get rid of it quick. If he doesn't, then it will only be a matter of time before the colossus' finds Jynera and worse - kill her.

Xanun felt the orb resisting his touch. He tried to compress it, but its resistance only gets stronger. With all the power he had, he managed to shrink the orb to the size of a tennis ball that fits within his grasp. He quickly turned outside and threw it to the tank in the middle and blew it up, sending the angels around it flying without the use of their wings in all directions. The other tanks also got the effect, as it was burning.

Without its power source, the colossus collapsed. Xanun got out quickly when it took a tumble and made his way to its back. It fell flat on its face, trapping some seraphim beneath it.

There were no more seraphim in sight. Xanun exhaled a relief. Then out of nowhere, he was hit by something that sent him flying a few metres away from where he was standing. He looked at his attacker - the seraphim commander. He was not dead.

Xanun got up on his feet with his sword in hand. The commander hurled massive boulders from the collapsed wall of Ivydown. Xanun dodged the first, and the second. Then he charged towards him in an attempt  to finish the  battle  once and for all. The commander hurled another rock at him. This time, it hit him and he was squashed beneath the heavy projectile.

The commander smiled at his victory. Then suddenly, he felt a deep, stabbing pain in his chest. He looked down and saw a blade has impaled him, then it went back inside him. He looked back before dying, and what he saw surprised him - it was Xanun.

"Xanun!"

Xanun came to his alert. He ran to Miranda who called for him. In her arms was Jynera lying weak with blood running down from her lips.

***************

Uh oh! What happened to Jynera? Find out next time, as always, if you enjoy this chapter, don't forget to vote and comment.

-Zyrofern