Chapter 27

The guards in Thronus Domini were doubled, so were the ones on the streets. Some were stationed on ground, on the roofs of buildings with some flying around to get the bird's eye view.

Miranda crouched behind a statue as she was making her way inside Thronus Domini. A direct entrance through the front doors would mean suicide and the guards would be alerted to her presence. She needs to be stealthy and find another way in.

She waited for a guard to pass by before making her way across and climbing the walls. Once she found a window, she melted it using her demon fire magic allowing her to get in.

She set her foot down once more on the marble flooring, sneaking her way through the corridor and when she was just about to turn about a corner, she heard the sound of footsteps coming closer. She stuck herself to the wall and launched her wrist blade on the sight of the guard, killing him. She continued on, ignoring the dead body.

She was thinking of making her way to the throne room and slay the council members. Hopefully they'll be there. She opened the door to the throne room and all she saw was a black winged angel brooding over the city, looking through the window.

She deployed both wrist blades and walked towards him stealthily. Then all of a sudden, the seraphim turned around and thrust his hand forward, hitting her with a powerful knock back spell and sealed the door behind her, sealing her escape.

"Lucky for me, Cainan had warned us," he said, taking slow steps towards Miranda.

Miranda drew her sword. "I've already killed a demon lord. What makes you think I can't do the same to you?"

"Why don't we see?" He drew his sword. It was only a hilt, with no blade. Then as if by magic, the hilt spurt a long, double-edged steel. "Cainan also mentioned that you are part demon. I remember one time when a young woman came to me, begging us to stop fighting the demons. She was carrying an infant in her arms, claiming that it is the union of both seraphim and demon. But at first, we ignored her and told her to take the abomination away from us. I never thought that I'd meet her again."

"Well you should have heeded our warning." Miranda performed a flying kick and hit the angel's head, followed by a horizontal strike that was easily parried. She did a sweep kick but her opponent jumped up and straightened his leg, hitting her hip.

Miranda struggled to get up. It hurt her, but thanks to some demonic genes, she has a good pain threshold. She was still holding her hip when she parried off another attack from the seraphim, followed by a riposte.

The angel stayed still for a moment, staring Miranda down. Miranda let go of her injured hip and placed both hands on the swords handle.

They didn't move for a little while. All they did was wait for the enemy to make the next move.

Then the angel used yet another knock back spell and charged forward, his sword whipping the air. Miranda blocked it just in time and locked him in a struggle. She owed gratitude to genetic engineering, she inherited demon strength and was able to push him back.

She thrust her hand forward then green fire snaked out of it, Melchizedek was fast enough to counter it with his magic. The fires of green and blue collided and they were in a struggle of magical strength. Miranda may be physically stronger than Melchizedek, but he, on the other hand, out matched her when it comes to magic. His blue flame was pushing onto hers as she was struggling to push it back.

Miranda thought it was pointless. She extinguished her demon fire and got out of the path of Melchizedek's magic. She ran for him and impaled him through his chest.

Melchizedek's fire was immediately put out as he felt the pain of Miranda's impaling blade. She pulled her sword out from his chest and watched as her foe dies.

A beam of light started to emerge from under the skin of his cheek followed by more and more until his body was a living collection of spotlights. Then at the top of it all, he glew like the sun, and as it started to fade away, so did he.

Miranda breathed heavily. She accomplished yet another impossible feat by slaying one of the most powerful of beings, a representative of a race.

"Master Melchizedek!"

Miranda turned around. She saw a familiar face displaying an expression of dismay. Cainan.

****************************

Another seraphim bites the dust. I hoped you enjoyed this chapter everybody, and as usual, don't forget to vote and comment - I love reading those feedback. Until next time.

-Zyrofern