Pay Up

Kai knows his mom is going to lose her shit when she finds out what he's been doing for the past three years. This whole lifestyle that his father introduced to him has now landed him in the slammer. 

Kai was supposed to deliver over 120 lbs of California grown weed to one of Nino's "friends", while en route to the delivery location he and his new partner, Lele, were stopped by the cops. Usually, one can be charged with a felony with up to five years and $250,000 fine. However, this is not Kai's first run-in with the law. 

--------------------------------------------

A few hours later...

"AYEEEE! GET YOUR LAZY ASS UP! IM NOT GON TELL YOU AGAIN", the deputy yelled at a sleeping Kai. 

Kai had woken up to a strange environment, shit stained walls, a foul order, uncomfortable ass jumpsuit and an out of shape hillbilly blaring in his ear. Without warning, Kai was yanked from his bed and slammed against the wall, "YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO ONE PHONE CALL! TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT!," the deputy once again in an unpleasant tone screamed at a confused Kai. 

He picked up the phone, contemplating whether to call his Uncle Bennie or Uncle Rell:

 If he called Bennie he would never hear the end of it and his mother would definitely find out. 

If he could Rell he would be released into his custody and have the shit beaten out of him, not because he was a good kid caught up in some bullshit, because he had not made the delivery. 

*dial tone*

"Hey, Ethan it's your favorite son in the world, Kai. Listen I really need your help but you gotta promise not to tell mom. I need you to-" Kai said but was instantly cut off. 

"WHERE THE FUCK ARE YOU? It's been 6 months since you've been home, your son is growing by the day, the whole gang has been worried sick about you. YOU BETTER BE FUCKING DYING!", Ethan screamed into the phone while holding the baby in one hand and stirring a pot of grits with the other.

"Well I might be dead very soon if you don't help me, man, I can't go to fucking jail I'm too pretty," Kai said looking behind his shoulder. 

Ethan scoffed into the phone.

"I need you to bail me out bro, my bail is $1,000,000 but you know we only pay like %10. Do you have money to bail me out?" Kai asked silently saying a prayer to God.

Ethan stayed silent on the phone, he didn't know whether to scream or hangup. He walked to the playpen and placed Luca inside, hurried back to the kitchen and turned off the grits. He took a deep breather, counting from one to ten before answering Kai's question. 

"Where are they holding you?"

-------------------------------------------------

Two days later...

"Get in the car and don't speak," Ethan said to Kai. Ethan had to pull a few strings to get the case dropped, strings that are waiting to be paid. 

Kai knew he was going to get a beating, either way, he chose the verbal one.

 "How stupid can one be? Did you honestly think that working for Nino, after I MADE ARRANGEMENTS FOR YOU TO HAVE TO NEVER WORK FOR HIM AGAIN, was a good idea? Did you?" Ethan said trying not to pull the car over and kill his son.

"I needed the money I'm tired of depending on you and mom for money all the damn time. I really want to take Luca and...move far away from all of you." Kai said, mumbling that last part. Ethan looked at Kai with disgust, thinking what had he done to make this poor kid turn out this way.

The car ride back home was silently awkward, Ethan knew they had to come up with a lie to tell Savannah.

Before Ethan could park the car in the garage Kai ran out the car and into the house. Ethan locked the car, made his way into the home that was never really a home. 

Savannah was sitting on the couch with a cup of coffee and her cell phone to her ear, Kai was sitting on the ottoman talking to his son. Ethan walked over to his beautiful wife and tried to give her a kiss but she turned her face away. This has been an ongoing occurrence ever since Bateman showed up at their home a few months ago, causing terror.

Ethan walked to the kitchen and found Chris eating some gluten-free pancakes and turkey bacon, he tried to give his son a dap but baby boy wasn't having it. 

Savannah yelled for Ethan to meet her in her office, when he made it there he was greeted by a pissed off wife and son. Savannah instructed Kai to close the door and for the boys to sit down. Over the past few months, Savannah has been very busy with catering celebrity weddings, birthday batches, baby showers, etc. At this moment she just needed for her home life to be somewhat decent, it has never been that.

"I just want to know the truth, no bullshit." She said leaning back in her chair and giving the death glare.

 Both men know that lying to Savannah is never an option, she could always sense that especially from them. 

Ethan was already in the dog house for rekindling a business relationship with Bateman, he knows that revealing to her that he also does business with her abusive, manipulative ex-was going to lead him back to his brother's house in Boston. 

Kai hasn't had a conversation with his mother in a minute, he could sense the hurt from her. He knows that his recent fuckups have brought a lot of turmoil to his family, he truly is his dad's son. 

"So who's going to start talking? I ain't got all day..."Savannah said and took a sip of her coffee. 

"Well if you must know dear I've been trying to open up a bar here. Since selling my business, I've had this feeling of emptiness lately and opening a bar will mean so much to me. I can eventually pass it down to the kids when I'm old as fuck. I have found a nice location in Fremont, you already there's money to be made down there. Nathan will be down here in a few days with some of his crew to go over the layout. Lily will be helping with the decor and  Bennie and Bertha to help with the menu. If you don't believe me, you can give them a phone call. Do you also need to look at my bank statements?"Ethan said with a sly smile. 

Savannah rolled her eyes and pointed at her son.

"In order to pay for a decent apartment in this expensive ass city, I decided to go work for my Uncle Rell in New Orleans. You know he still has his barbershop and restaurant, well I asked him if he could teach me how to cut hair. It only took a few weeks for me to learn the skills and he gave me a chair. I have saved up more than enough money to move out on my own and even pay you guys back." Kai said and gave his mom puppy dog eyes.

Savannah finished her coffee, logged into her computer and turned her monitor around to show the boys something.

" Why does everyone insist on lying to me?" she said.

The guys were dumbfounded, there on the screen was a montage of security cam footage of their "not so secret" rendezvous. 

Savannah got out of her seat, open the door and turned around to face the idjits, "I want the both of you out of my home by the end of the day."