1. Surprise

Lucky for you, I got all these daddy issues

What can I do?

I'm going crazy when I'm with you

It's been years since I've talked to my former best friend, Demi Lovato. We were close for years, but when she was forced to go to rehab for her drug use, she stopped talking to me. But she got clean, continued making great music, and I was left to navigate the world alone.

Forget all the therapy that I've been through

Lucky for you

I got all these daddy issues

(All these daddy issues)

Daddy issues (daddy issues, uh)

I don't know if she thinks about me, but I think about her every day. I wake up and listen to her music, I go to sleep listening to her music. I can't get enough.

Don't know how to commit

But I might want your kid

And after our first kiss

Got your name on my wrist

Yeah, we were friends when she first came out with her first few albums, and I liked her music then, but after we stopped talking, I realized how much I loved her. Like actually loved her. Listening to her voice in my headphones made me feel close to her again.

Yeah, I get a little obsessive

A little aggressive, a little bit too invested

And whatever you want, whenever you want

That's what you get 'cause

You're unavailable

(You're unavailable)

I'm insatiable

Lucky for you

I got all these-

I was walking around Los Angeles, getting some air in the city where I lived several years ago, with Daddy Issues blaring in my ears, when someone bumped into my shoulder. Annoyed with myself and the person, I looked up into brown eyes I knew very well.

I was looking into the eyes of Demi Lovato. Eyes widening, I jerked my earbuds out of my phone, pausing the music. I would be mortified if Demi heard her own voice coming from my headphones. But Demi was smiling. I smiled back and we hugged.

"Oh, my God!" she exclaimed. "What's up?" She took my arm and started leading me somewhere.

I shook my head, at a loss for words. We ended up at a small cafe, with outdoor seating and we sat down.

"It's been so long!" she gushed. "How have you been?" She leaned over the table, exposing her cleavage in her black top.

"Good, good," I finally said. "And you?" I knew she had been in a few relationships after her time in rehab, including Wilmer Valderrama and Luke Rockhold, but I didn't know much about her personal life. I was fairly certain she was single now...

She smiled, her usual grin. "I've been great." Then her smile went away. "Look, Maia, I'm so sorry I didn't keep in contact with you, but I had to give up my phone. And when I got it back, I didn't have your number, and I tried to find you on social media-"

"No, Demi, you don't have to apologize. I'm honestly just glad you're okay." We held hands over the table. Hers were so warm in mine. "Tell Me You Love Me is amazing, by the way," I added.

She blushed and looked down. She pulled her hands back. "Oh, stop."

"I mean it," I said, laughing. She looked at me, smiling. "The ever humble Demi Lovato," I joked, making her laugh.

"I'm glad we ran into each other," she said. "Literally."

I smiled, wanting to reach over and hold her hand again.

"Do you-Are you hungry?" she asked. "I'll buy."

"That would be great, but you don't have to."

She waved her hand at me. "No, I insist. Order whatever you want."

We went inside, because it was too hot outside and we ordered a whole table of food.

"What have you been up to?" Demi asked me, checking out the salad in front of her.

"Oh, I just finished school. I'm a licensed cosmetologist." I stirred my tea with the straw while Demi gaped.

"That's amazing! So, do you have any celebrity clients?"

I shook my head. "Maybe you can be my first," I said, with a smirk.

"You could be my makeup artist while I'm on tour. It'll give us time to catch up."

I nodded. "I'd love that."