20. Holiday

December 24, 2017

I had insisted on getting a Christmas tree right after Thanksgiving, and throughout the month of December, Demi and I decorated it. Just the previous day, we put a glittery silver star on top that had white LEDs around the edges and a light blue one in the middle.

Demi stood behind me, arms wrapped around my waist, chin on my shoulder as we admired the tree. It was the most beautiful tree I'd ever seen or had. I gently rubbed Demi's arm and she made a small "hm" noise.

"What?" I asked, smiling.

"We did good." I could hear her grin and I laughed, turning so we could sit on the couch.

I draped my legs over Demi's as we held hands. This Christmas was, by far, the best one ever.

~//~//~//~//~//~//~

Christmas morning

Demi handed me a small, red box with a white ribbon tied around it. She grinned, widely as I took it and pulled the bow out of the ribbon.

"Dems, what did you get me?" I asked, in a slightly teasing tone. It was also the first time I'd called her Dems, rather than Demi. She didn't seem to mind.

"Little something." She shrugged. The ribbon was off. "Open it!"

"Okay, okay." I grinned, slowly lifting the lid up, revealing two silver bands, each with two heart shaped diamonds. My mouth dropped open, causing a chuckle to escape from Demi. "Demi... W-Why two?" I stuttered looking back up at her.

She reached over, taking one if the rings. "Because." She drew the word out, showing me the inside of the band.

D+M 12/25/17 🖤

I gasped, taking the other one out. It was inscribed with the same thing. Demi slid it onto my finger, then I put hers on.

"Do you like it?" She sounded nervous.

Shocked, I jerked my head up. "I love them!" I cried, hugging her tight around her neck. She squeezed me around my waist, and when we pulled apart, I gave her my gift. She made a little o shape with her mouth, seeing the long black box. I handed it to her and she glanced at me before removing the sparkly red ribbon.

Then, she gasped at the bracelet inside. It was a charm bracelet that I'd gotten custom made. It had three charms: a microphone, a small makeup palette, and in the middle, a silver heart with Demi's and my birthstones-for August and March-with her name engraved above the stones and mine below them.

"Maia," she breathed. "It's gorgeous."

I grinned and helped her with the clasp.

"Thank you." She pulled me into another tight hug, then pulled back slightly to kiss me.

"You're welcome." I pecked her lips again. "Merry Christmas."

"Merry Christmas," she replied.

We cuddled on the couch, talking, while I realized something. Well, maybe two things. One, I had never been happier than I was when Demi reacted the way she did to the gift, and two, how the hell had I survived so long without her in my life?