19. Hated

Demi blushed again at my answer. She checked the time on her phone and told me it was almost five thirty. We finished our food, and since we'd paid earlier, we got up and left. She held the door for me and grabbed my hand as we walked over to her car.

"Hey!" a male voice called from behind us. We turned and I realized it was one of the guys that had been inside. He wore one of those jackets that was denim, but the sleeves were like a regular hoodie, with the hood. His hood was up, too, over a flat brimmed hat. His dark jeans were baggy around his ankles so he could show off his red and white Adidas sneakers.

"What?" Demi asked, trying not to sound annoyed.

"You could do better," the guy said, as his gaze moved over to me.

Demi's mouth dropped open. "Excuse you, what right do you have to tell me who I should be with?"

The guy looked slightly confused, then he shook his head. "I was talking to her." He pointed at me.

He was telling me I could do better than Demi? There was no way in hell there was anyone better than Demi. I stepped forward to confront him, but Demi's hand grabbed my waist.

"Hey, come on. He's not worth it," she told me in a low voice. "Have a great day," she told the guy in a louder voice, then a little quieter, she added, "Asshole."

I laughed as we got up into her car. She looked at me, and I stared back. "There's nobody else I'd rather be with."

Demi grinned and pushed closer to press her lips to mine. "Well, there's nobody else I'd rather be with." She backed out of the space, and flipped around to drive back to her house.

She held my hand the whole way, only letting go when we got out. Then, we held hands as we went back inside.

She told me she was excited for me to go out on tour with her.

"But first we have Christmas and New Years," I reminded her, with a small smirk that she returned.

"You know what else there is?" Demi was heading towards the kitchen, where she grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge. She offered it to me and I accepted, making her get a second one for herself.

"What else?" I asked, unsure of what she was getting at.

"During the tour, you're gonna turn 25." Demi smiled, turning her bottle up. "So, we're gonna fucking celebrate, okay?" She was literally grinning from ear to ear.

I laughed. "Party like it's 1999?"

"Hell yeah." She tapped the short necks of our bottles together. "Until all that, though, what do you wanna do?"

I sighed, letting my eyes shut for a moment, then I looked at Demi. "Sleep would be good." She agreed, even though the sun was coming up, and we went to wash our faces and put on some more comfortable clothes.

Demi was laying on her back, with me snuggled up next to her, my leg between hers. I felt her shift, and then her lips gently pressed to my forehead.

"Good night, Maia," she murmured.

I chuckled. "Morning actually, but good night, Demi."