34. Falling

My birthday party started out with a lot of faked smiles at people, and me not saying much to anyone. Demi stayed close to me with the same faked happiness I wore. It was an armor to me: pretend you're happy and nobody will ever know otherwise, and maybe if you're lucky, you won't have to fake it anymore. Your brain will realize you're smiling and make you happy.

This is what happened for me, and what I thought happened for Demi. At one point we started popping balloons and glitter fell down over me. I shook my head madly, trying to keep the glitter out of my face, and then when I popped another balloon, rainbow confetti floated down, landing gracefully on my head and shoulders. We had several photographers and I couldn't wait to see the photos of me covered in glitter and confetti.

I began to enjoy myself and love Demi even more than I did, because she had planned this and known I loved glitter and confetti, as well as balloons and all the food that was there. Oh God the food... there were all sorts of snacks and candy that were on a long table to hold everyone over until the cake was brought out.

And then there was the cake. Three tiers each about a foot tall, covered with strawberry buttercream frosting with a vanilla cake and strawberries in between the layers. It had edible roses around each tier and pearls at the tops, going up and down in a scalloped pattern around the cake. It was honestly the most beautiful cake I'd ever seen, and as much as I love cake, I almost didn't wanna eat it. I made everyone stay away while I got some pictures on my cracked phone which thankfully still worked, then Demi smiled at me and cut me the first piece.

That was the moment I noticed something was really off with Demi. Everyone had their cake, and Demi had a small piece that she ate slowly.

"Baby, what's going on?" I asked her.

She gave me a smile and brushed it off, saying she had just had a long ass day. I giggled and agreed, letting the topic go. I enjoyed the rest of my cake and party, excited for what was to come during Demi's show the next night.

I couldn't possibly imagine how it could top this, or even come close to it, but knowing Demi, she could pull it off.