31. Nashville (Part 3)

Demi's POV

I got Max to drive me back to the hotel and told him to wait in the hall outside our room while I talked to Maia. But of course, I wasn't sure where she was; I just wanted to check for her phone or any clues that could help.

By the looks of the room, Maia left on her own. I couldn't find her phone, nor the key card, so she must have left as I texted the "I love you." But that didn't explain why she started to respond but never did.

Something must have happened and I had to find out what. Checking the time as I exited the room, I realized the party was supposed to start at six, and it was five.

"That was fast. Ready to go?" I glanced at Max, and decided it was best to tell him. It was kind of his job anyway to protect me and Maia as well.

"She's not here. And I don't know where she is, or why, or anything." It came out so fast, I wasn't positive he understood. Thankfully he did, even though I was on the brink of a panic attack. I then showed him Trevor's account and his post with Maia, and I grimaced when I saw it again, his arm around her, practically engulfing her small frame in his slightly larger one.

We decided to go to the lobby and ask to see the security camera footage from earlier.

At the front desk, I held back tears as I explained my girlfriend was missing and asking if we could check the footage to see what happened after she never answered me. One of the hotel's employees sat down with us in a small room filled with monitors and found the camera near our room. Unfortunately, they had no sound, but we could clearly see Maia, coming out of the room, texting in the middle of the hall, then a guy-Trevor, no doubt-bumping into her.

He was touching her arm, looking like he was about to walk away, then it cut to white noise for just a moment, then they were both gone.

"Huh," the guy said. "Odd. Must have been a malfunction, but I'll see if I can find them in another part of the hotel."

I nodded, biting down on my lip, praying to God everything would be okay.