11. Feelings

Demi's POV

I left Maia's house, confused and kind of hurt.

Yeah, I'd been really surprised that I'd been the girl, since she had made it seem like it was a different girl. But I guess she hadn't wanted to tell me, for some reason.

The thing I'd always known about Maia was that she wasn't the most positive about certain things. I'm not saying she's a negative person, but if she's unsure about something, she just thinks the worst. But I suppose depression will do that.

She just assumed I didn't feel the same way, so to avoid it, she wouldn't let me say anything.

I couldn't stay mad at her-not that I'd been mad at all-but I knew she would need a little space. Just for the rest of the night, anyway.

She probably thought the worst: That I hate her, I don't want to be friends anymore, but none of that was true.

It had hurt me so much when my contact with her had been cut off. There I was, trying to get clean and sober, while working, but my best friend wasn't there with me. However, I knew that I couldn't continue to be the person I was and be friends with her at the same time. I always worried about her, because, like me, she had mental health issues.

I was worried she would see me doing drugs, and think that she should. And I never wanted her to even know that side of me. Maia was a wonderful person, she still is, and I felt like I'd ruin her, so as much as it hurt, I ended up leaving her.

Like her, our time apart, made me realize something: I wanted more than a friendship.

When we met again, after all that time, I figured I'd have my chance, but she started saying she had a crush on someone, so I just slipped into the supportive friend role.

But now I knew Maia felt the same way, I just had to get her go listen to me.