21. Celebrate

New Years Eve, 2017

Demi and I went to a huge party to ring in 2018. We were both excited to start the new year, as we stood hand in hand. I caught her looking at me and she grinned.

"What?" I asked.

"You look nice."

"You look nice."

She gave me a side hug and I kissed her temple.

I had worn gold heels which were covered by my long, white and gold dress, and Demi's own black heels made her slightly taller than me. She had gone for a shorter dress, shorter in the front and black with a gold belt.

We'd kept jewelry light, sticking to our matching rings, her bracelet, her hoops, and my cross necklace that I had recently started wearing again

We went bold, doing each other's makeup, using bold colors, like black, silver, and gold. Can those be counted as colors? Eh, whatever.

She kept telling me how beautiful I was, and I didn't argue; I felt beautiful. I had black winged eyeliner, with silver over the top, something I'd never been able to do on myself.

So, all in all, I was happy. I was so happy, I didn't care about anything else really. All I needed was Demi's hand in mine.

~//~//~//~//~//~//~

Ten seconds to 2018

The countdown to midnight started, and Demi faced me, a huge grin on her lips, as she counted along.

Seven

Six

Five

Four

Three

Two

One

Happy New Year!

I smiled, pulling Demi closer, kissing her. I wasn't surprised when I felt fireworks, because there were actually fireworks right outside, but something about this kiss seemed different, even more special. It was our first kiss of the new year, after all. Gently, I pulled her bottom lip between my teeth, and she smiled against my mouth.

We headed outside, where we watched the fireworks, bursting across the sky in flashes of blue, white, green, red. Basically all the colors. Some even wrote out "Happy New Year!" and "2018."

Demi's head rested on my arm, holding that same hand, as I used my free hand to rub her other arm which was over my stomach. She made a small sound, then she pulled away, looking up at me. "I just realized something."

"What's that?" I asked.

"I don't think we ever made this official." She pulled back, facing me, and taking my hands in hers. "So, Maia Rae Leonard, will you be my girlfriend?" She had an adorably, hopeful grin, and I leaned forward, planting a small kiss on her lips.

"Of course, I will, Demetria Devonne Lovato." I smiled back at my girlfriend, a burst of happiness going off in my stomach. Finally I could call Demi Lovato my girlfriend.

Typically, I didn't like to predict how my new year would go, but something told me that 2018 was going to be fucking great.