30. Nashville (Part 2)

Demi's POV

I texted "I love you" to Maia and saw that she read it, but she didn't reply. She started to, then stopped. It's been four hours since that happened and I haven't heard from her. She wasn't even reading my texts anymore and when I called, it rang a few times then voicemail.

I groaned, gripping my phone in my hand, trying to not show my concern. I had to get everything perfect so Maia could have the best surprise party ever... Well, she already knew about it, so not really a surprise. We were using the concert stadium for her party, then changing it up a little for the next night.

There were balloons filled with confetti and glitter everywhere plus confetti and glitter cannons, because Maia always wanted some. A huge banner wished her a happy birthday and ladders were set up all around the stage and people were hanging streamers and placing some heart shaped balloons in all of the colors of the rainbow.

Again, I checked my phone. Nothing. I told her to walk around inside the hotel and now... And now what? What was going on?

On my home screen now, my thumb tapped the Instagram app. I'd turned off my notifications so I could focus on getting the decorating done and talking to Maia.

I found my notifications were blown up with pictures of Maia and some guy that everyone tagged me in. I zoomed in and realized it was the same guy from Canada. The one that kissed Maia. He's in Nashville now? With Maia?

My mind was racing, sitting on the edge of the stage, one leg tucked under me, while the other swung freely. All I could think was that something was going on, she had lied to me in Canada, and she's actually cheating on me.

Maia loves me. She wouldn't.

But the thought didn't go away because I got to the pictures where their lips were locked together, and Maia had her hands on his chest. Holding back my urge to throw up, I read the caption: Nashville with bae 😍😍

I gasped out loud, realization setting in that the guy's arm was out and he was taking the picture and it was him that posted it. And he tagged me?

Looking into his account, his name was Trevor and he traveled a lot. He had posts tagged in states all over the country, Canada, England, Australia. I could go on. And he looked different each place he was. Like he was trying to dress the way they do wherever he is, trying to fit in. I rolled my eyes at the discovery that he changed his accent too. He posted videos of himself talking about some kind of Australian food in the accent, which I hate to admit, he's good at.

Ugh, Demi, focus.

"Hey, you okay?" a voice asked me, hand touching my shoulder.

I jumped up, seeing one of my set managers who had been tying balloons in place so they could be popped and make it rain either confetti or glitter.

"Y-Yeah." I cleared my throat, looking away briefly. "Can you handle things here? I have to go talk to Maia." I said it calmly, as if I knew where she was. But I didn't wanna say I had to find her.

He nodded. "Yeah, I got it. Go do what you need to do."

I forced a quick smile and made my way outside into the blinding Tennessee sun.