23. San Diego (Part 2)

I stood off stage the entire time, slightly dancing in place as Demi did her thing. Everyone kept complimenting how good at doing makeup I was, which made me feel like she hadn't made a mistake asking me to be her touring makeup artist.

Near the end of the show, Demi stretched her arm out in my direction, and I realized this was the surprise she had mentioned.

"As you know by now, I'm seeing someone," Demi said into her mic. "She's here tonight, and she'll be with me every night, but since it's the first night, I wanted to let everyone know." She looked at me. "Maia, come out." She smiled, and her smile tugged me from my spot. I timidly joined her and she wrapped her arm around my waist, holding the mic with her other hand.

Panic threatened to overtake me as I saw how many people were watching me. But then Demi spoke again.

"This is my best friend and girlfriend, Maia." I focused on Demi as she turned to look up at me, smiling. She looked out at the crowd. "Isn't she more beautiful than all of the stars?"

I let out an inaudible chuckle, blushing hard. My arm had made its way around Demi's shoulders, and she caught my attention before kissing me. Trying not to freak out, I tuned everything out, only letting myself feel her lips on mine. My body was heating up, knowing we were being watched, but she didn't mind.

She pulled away, and she and DJ Khaled said goodnight, but only after doing one more song: a remix of Nightingale.

I had finally told her the meaning of that song, and that it was my all-time favorite, so it was "ours." I couldn't stop smiling as she held my hand, singing to me. My cheeks were hurting from the smile pasted on my face, but I didn't think I'd ever been happier.