Chapter 4

An hour and 45 minutes passed. Fifteen more minutes until I can finally leave detention. I've already drawn another eye, a really bad wolf, and read the packet the culinary teacher gave us, three times. I highlighted what I would need in yellow, and things I had questions on in orange. So at this point, I had nothing to do and was extremely bored.

  I decided to just look out the window. The only window was behind the teacher's desk. I stood by the window that I could barely see out of because of my height and took note of everything I could. There was a gap between the chain link fence and the B building. All trees were encircled in rocks. The basketball hoops didn't have nets. The tether balls were barely hanging onto the rope. I tried to continue finding things, but I eventually couldn't find anything new.

  I turned around to go back to my desk but was stopped when I saw Blake's black Adidas hoodie. I stared at the logo for a bit longer before finally looking into his cold blue eyes.

  "Brooklyn... want to go to the party?" He asked, only a few inches from my face.

  "N-no." I stuttered out, feeling extremely uncomfortable. He somehow managed to get closer. I would have backed up but the backs of my feet were already pushed against the wall, as was my head.

  "Please? I'll just get closer until you say yes." He said with a smirk. I shook my head no. He kept his word and inched closer. "Are you sure you don't want to go?" Blake asked with a taunting voice.

  "I'm sure." I said quickly and glanced at the clock. There was only three minutes until detention was over and the door unlocked. "Detentions gonna be over soon, so." I mumbled, hoping it would make Blake move. His hands were shoved inside the pockets of his sweatpants so I tried to shuffle my way out from between him and the wall.

  When he noticed I was trying to move he shot his left hand out of his pocket and slammed it onto the wall next to me.

  "All you gotta do is say yes." He said with a devious smile.

  "I don't even have a dress. I don't even have the money for a dress!" I blurted out, trying to get him to give up.

  "You don't, I do."

  "No, you're not buying my dress because I'm not getting a dress because I'm not going!" I said in frustration. He only began to lower his head to my neck and then I began to panic. When his head got to the same level as my ear he whispered.

  "Say yes and I'll stop." And then his head lowered more. I gave in.

  "Okay! Okay!" I nearly screamed as I shoved him back by his shoulders. He stumbled back a few steps as he laughed, his eyes crinkling on the edges.

  "That wasn't so hard now was it?" He asked with a fake pout as he grabbed my chin in a successful attempt to annoy me. I slapped his hand away and glared at him. "See, Brooklyn, if I remember correctly you said, and I quote, 'You'd have to find a different technique to get me to give in,' and I took that as a challenge. I used one of my many talents. Seduction." He explained with an amused laugh.

"Actually, Blake, seducing someone means to tempt them into some sort of sexual activity. You only scared me with the fact that I thought you'd bite my neck!" I retorted with disgust. He once again laughed at my anger.

"Fine. Either way, I used my experience with 'sexual activity' as you like to say, to get you to give in. Either way, I win." He crossed his arms and gave me a smile.

I was so close to crying. Not crying because I was sad or shocked, but because I was so frustrated with him. I can't stand it when people are completely happy with themselves while I want to chop their head off. If Blake were one of my brothers or my best friend, like Kyle, I would have punched him. Or kicked him. Anything that could induce pain. However, every time I did said things to my brothers, they'd always punch or kick me back, and I'd do it back, and it'd go on for a while until one of my older brothers got us to stop.

The bell rung and I gave one of my best glares to Blake as I shoved him out of the way to get my backpack.

"You know you're cute when you're mad." Blake laughed.

"Oh ha ha. You know what else is cute? A blue ringed octopus. You know what they do when they're mad? They give you a painless bite and within minutes your limbs will go numb. You will begin to start bleeding excessively. You'll feel nauseous and throw up. You'll be struggling to see and swallowing will become a challenge. Then around ten minutes after being bitten, you'll be paralyzed, and of course when your whole body is paralyzed, you can't breathe. Then, you die. And the blue ringed octopus is actually a shy animal and therefor they generally only bite when they're being held. You basically die because you provoked an animal. Am I deadly? No. Did you pick me up? No. Would I bite you if you did? Nope. But the point is, looks can be deceiving. So, me being 'cute when I'm mad' doesn't change anything besides the fact that you're not scared to provoke me. But neither were the people that held the little octopus. And look where they ended up. Dead." I ranted. Was I being dramatic? Yes. But I was flustered, tired, and irritated, so what would you expect?

"Yeah. Okay Brooke." Blake said with a laugh as I left the room.

I went to the front office to call Justin to pick me up and as I was doing so, Blake heard me while he was walking past the office to leave.

"I could drop you off." He offered.

"Nope. I have a ride." I said with a forced smile. Justin heard that I declined a ride and spoke up.

"Um no you don't. I don't want to pick you up if I don't have to." He spoke through the phone.

"Do you really want Blake to drop me off?" I ask in a hushed tone.

"Blake as in Blake Anders? Like the one that we hang out with?" Justin asked rather quickly.

"The one and only." I sigh into the black school phone.

"Nope. Nope, I'll pick you up. Be there soon! Bye." And he hung up before I could reply. I went out to the front of the school and sat on the bench, knowing Blake was following.

"Wow. You had to tell your brother it was me offering, just so I didn't get to drop you off." Blake put a hand on his chest to show his feigned hurt.

"Yep. I think I've had enough time with you today." I sighed truthfully.

"There's never too much time with me." He gasped.

"Okay." I said after letting out a short laugh.

"Whatever. See ya tomorrow, best friend." He said in a high pitched tone while he ruffled my hair before walking off.

I sat for a few more minutes before I saw the small black car pull up in front of me. I got into the front seat and it wasn't long before Justin started asking questions.

"So where were you?" He asked.

"Detention." I replied simply.

"With Blake? You didn't have sex, did you?" He asked in a rushed tone.

"What? No! Why would you think we had sex?!" I yelled in shock.

"The fact that you had two hours with Blake! We all know the teachers don't stay. Trust me Brooklyn, to Blake, it's all about sex." Justin warned.

"Well we didn't have sex, I have self respect, thank you very much." I said with a roll of my eyes.

"Don't roll your eyes." Justin scolded. It took everything in me to not to roll my eyes at that.

"Aren't you gonna ask why I got detention?" I asked in confusion to the fact that he hasn't asked yet.

"I could ask you now and have you explain it and then ask you again later and have you explain it again later, or, I could just ask you later and have you explain it then so all the boys know and you only have to explain once." He explained. I just groaned and sunk into the chair.

"No, you don't get to act like that. You brought this upon yourself." Justin once again scolded.

"If only you knew." I mumbled quietly. He would know soon though.