Chapter 39

Christmas sped by, as it does every year. Sadly, this year lacked the Christmas spirit. Usually we had the lights up, Christmas songs playing, and just the overall joy that usually made it's appearance around this time of year, but this year it was all gone. With the stress of the past few weeks, we had failed to get ready for the season. Hell, we didn't even bring out the tree. We did however, throw together a less-than-average batch of cookies, they ended up being slightly burnt, and watched a few Christmas movies. "Gifts" were exchanged but they were quaint things like a gift card to a pizza place down the street, I got another blanket to add to my collection, and Chase got a ticket to a car wash. 

  But now, break was over, school has begun and my mental health is about to deteriorate all over again. Unlike other schools, our school decided to have midterms after break, meaning that the next few weeks of school would not be anything less than hell-like. 

  I had my chemistry teacher working extra hard to teach us the things he had neglected prior to learning the mid-terms date. My world studies teacher was being a bit lax and giving us study time which inevitably made me want to pull my hair out because my brain was not withholding any information. I had my English teacher trying to squeeze in an essay. My Fine Arts/Photography teacher was trying to get us to finish our last-minute themed collage while my art teacher told us we'd only have a small test on things we already knew well. And then I had my 3 different math teachers shoving tests, study guides, different techniques, and strategies down my throat. To say I was stressed was putting it lightly.

  I left the school more frazzled than ever and opted for Blake to take me home so I could rant freely without being scolded for letting a curse word slip.

  "I am so close to dropping out. What's the point?" I waved my hands dramatically as he raised his eyebrows while watching the road.

  "It will be fine, you're overreacting." He glanced at me for a second but still looked back to the road when he caught sight of my glare.

  "Says the math genius. That's my weak spot. I have three classes of something that I suck at. Then they decided last minute to cram all of this damn garbage into my head. Then World Studies is just awkwardly quiet while I have to reread the same 10 chapters." My hand reached to my lip and began to pick away at the flesh. Blake's hand gently grabbed my hand and intertwined my fingers so I would stop. "This is gonna happen again for finals and - oh my god, the ACT's. And the SAT's!" My anxiety levels spiked even further.

  "Brooklyn. You're brilliant you'll do fine." He couldn't look away from the road so he just rubbed the back of my hand with his thumb.

  "I mainly care about how I am gonna make it through all of these tests without crying every two seconds. Like I can't even take a break. This test will end then I need study for the next, then the next, and then the next." My eyes started to water as I began to overthink - as always.

  "Talk to your counselor. I'm sure there are things you can do, Brooklyn." He finally made eye contact with me again as we pulled into my driveway. I nodded but I still didn't agree with what he said. He gave me a hug across the center console and a peck on the forehead before I got out of the car with my stuff. My tears only came back as I waved him off while he drove down the street.

  When I walked into the house, my brothers jumped to assumptions after seeing my wet cheeks.

  "Did he break up with you?" Was asked by everyone in varying  and much more aggressively violent ways.

  "Can you guys not blame things on him. For once? And no. Mid-terms and finals and - oh my god I am so screwed." I rubbed my head. They all stayed silent, most of them understanding the fact that this was indeed going to be a rough year. My tears were beginning to dry, making me feel tired, my head was aching from all the stress, and my throat was tight and constricting my breathing. "I'm gonna take a nap." I said quietly, none of them replied as I slowly moved up the stairs and collapsed into my bed. I quickly screamed my greatest frustrations into my pillow before getting cozy under the blankets and dozing off.

----------