Chapter 45

The day that had been long-awaited for by some and dreaded by others finally arrived. Graduation. The auditorium was filled with maroon, the graduates with their gowns and families showing their support.

  Jackson and Justin lead everyone who wasn't graduating somewhere in the bleachers while Jason, Jax and I helped each other find our seats. I was surely the youngest graduating today, and though the faces surrounding me were familiar through the occasional walk-bys in the hall, I didn't know anyone.

  We had finally found our seats. I was closest to the aisle then Jason and then Jax. Blake was somewhere in the front since his last name started with 'A'. The ceremony took forever, my focus was lacking so my eyes would train on one spot while my mind wandered miles away.

  My thoughts were broken when Jason snapped his fingers in front of me. I blinked at him with wide eyes until he pointed to the seats beside me, they were empty as people began to line up to receive their diplomas.

  One by one, people were called to walk across the stage. I was still zoning out of it constantly, my body moving forward subconsciously when the body in front of me did.

  My ears perked up when I heard Blake's name. I peaked around the dozens of students in front of me to watch him walk across stage. Just like after every name, an applause would sound around the auditorium. I heard a piercing whistle, as did Blake - seeing as his head perked up to search for the sound. I found Brianna with her bright makeup and dark long hair, cheering for her brother. I looked back at Blake who now had rosy cheeks, shaking his head with a small smile. His head turned to look down the line, scanning faces. His eyes stopped when they found me and he sent me a big smile and only looked away when I returned one.

  What felt like forever, but was really only about ten minutes, passed. I was up next and my nerves were too crazy for me to zone out anymore. Jason noticed my shaking hands and turned me around.

  "You're fine, Brookie. We're right here, the rest are up there, and Blake's down there." He pointed out all their locations so I had people to look at for comfort. He gave a comforting hug before turning me around and lightly pushing me on stage when my name rung through the speakers.

  I walked along a row of adults who held some sort of superiority, shaking their hands and receiving the paper that for some reason held so much power over one's life.

  I peaked back at my brothers, Jason just now walking forward, while I was walking back to my chair. Blake sped walk over to me and gave me a quick hug when I passed his row before scurrying back to his chair. He wasn't supposed to do that, but he doesn't care, he never has. By the time I reached my chair, Jason was a few feet behind me and Jax was getting off the stage.

  The pattern continued for a while, only being altered when a few kids tried to be funny. Some would dab - not well - and some would just do some horrible dance. Eventually, everyone was done walking across the stage and back in their seats. A small speech was given before we were told to stand up. There words began to slow down before they ended it with some sappy words of how we were now free of the duties of highschool. 

   The people in the stands cheered, happy for their loved ones, while the students - I shoud say ex-students - cheered even louder, happy for themselves. Maroon caps were flooding the air above everyone, including my own. I only threw it a few feet up and watched it carefully, it was something I wanted to keep; a memento.

  My freshly-graduated brothers excused themselves, breaking away to go and congratulate their friends, while I went to find Blake so we could possibly find our supporting friends and families together. He found my small stature before I even knew where to look.