Chapter 40

It's been a few solid months. The small, normal tests continued to occur once every Friday even as the mandatory state tests made their way around. Everyone in my house was drained, if it wasn't because they had to take tests it was because they had to deal with those who were taking the test. Kyle was dealing with the stress as if it wasn't even there. He's always been the one who rarely got stressed and when he did, he barely was. Blake dealt with his stress by ranting and complaining - like my brothers - and I dealt with it by having mini breakdowns throughout the day.

  Today, however, was the last day of testing. Though everyone was ecstatic, there was still the lingering sensation of dread and anxiety. Blake, being the person he is, decided to throw a party in light of the finality of testing and that lead to my brothers quickly denying the mere idea of me going.

  "Yeah, I get you guys are dating or whatever but you're not going Brooklyn." Jackson said with his arms over his chest. Before I could make a single sound, he added, "I get some of our rules in the past were a bit intense but this is reasonable."

  "It would be if they couldn't go either." My arm flew out to the side of me, pointing to the couch where Jax, Jason and Chase were sat. Chase's mouth opened in shock.

  "I get you're pissy but let us have our fun!" Chase defended himself and the two boys beside him.

  "I'm not pissy, it's just not fair!" I snapped back.

  "Life isn't fair!"

  "Oh, don't use that bullshit on me." I narrowed my eyes at him.

  "Brookie, it's just a safety precaution." Jackson stepped in to stop our little bicker. I rolled my eyes and went to go upstairs. "Come on, don't be like that Brooklyn." But I ignored him and continued on my way.

~~~~~

  The time of the party approached faster than I was expecting. Cole walked into my room. Being my closest brother also gave him the job of being bearer of bad news.

  "We're heading out." He sucked on his cheek. I gave a curt nod and we made awkward eye contact for a bit before he left.

  I waited about five minutes after hearing the door close before I changed into more appropriate clothing. Not a dress and five pounds of makeup like last time, I would not like to do that again. Ever

  I just went with skinny jeans and a crop top, though it was basic and over-worn, it was always a quick and simple outfit. A few minutes after a quick text to Kyle, he picked me up and we were on our way.

  "I'm second thinking this whole 'you with Blake' thing. He's making you all rebellious and it's weird" Kyle said as he turned on the blinker to turn. I gave him a confused look.

  "Okay, first off, I've only snuck out twice because of him, one of which you were also begging me to do. Second, you've been trying to making me 'rebellious' since we were ten." I folded my arms at him and rose and eyebrow.

  "Exactly, I was supposed to be the one to change you. Then I could be thanked in your speech after you marry a guy you met at a party after you ditched a study meeting in college because going to parties became the norm for you." Kyle spoke. I looked at him with furrowed eyebrows. 

  "How much do you think about this?" 

  "Hey, I don't stress about tests cause this brain is way too busy to be doing so." He tapped his head. I chuckled a bit and I saw his mouth quirk up a bit, reassuring my assumptions that it was all a joke. 

  When we pulled up to Blake's house, the scene wasn't too different from last time. The bass could be felt in your stomach, those who got sick of being in the house piled out onto the lawn and the balconies. The smell of alcohol was pungent from the end of the driveway. Even though my anxiety was through the roof, I also had a small sense of ease at the bottom of my stomach.

  Just as Kyle and I were about to step through the front door, Blake was there. 

  "Oh, you made it!" Blake cheered, barely being heard over the blaring music. 

  "Yeah, they don't know." I informed him, though he probably already knew that.

  "Shocker." He said sarcastically. I turned around and Kyle was already gone but an quick scan of the front yard and I found him talking to a tall blonde. I didn't even have a second to turn around before Blake was tugging me behind him. He poured two shots into two abnormally large shot glasses and dangled one in front of me with a charming smile.  I gently took it out of his hand. He downed his own with out any hesitation while I basically drank it as if it were water - I had no idea as to how to take a shot the right way.

  Being the small person I was, mixed with the being a natural light weight, the drink was able to make me feel a bit more relaxed as well as a bit more excited. On the other hand, Blake was acting as if he hadn't had a drink the whole night. While most girls were treating their dancing partner as a stripper's pole, Blake mainly just hugged me or spun me around while I squealed like a little girl. 

  The cute and tender moment quickly disappeared and after a few seconds of blurred vision, I was in Blake's room and seated on his bed. I looked at him with wide eyes while he locked the doors.

  "Sorry, the next thing I knew, your brothers were all around the room. I thought it would be safer in here." Blake said with sympathy. I fell back on the bed with a loud huff.

  "I didn't sneak out to be locked in a room." I pouted.

  "I know." He nodded.

  "My brothers ruin everything." I groan. Blake chuckled and gave me the same response.

  The next thing I knew, I was lying next to Blake and he just caressed my cheek as I ranted about every flaw I could think. As minor as the painting in the hall that was crooked but was too high for me to fix, to the idea that one day Kyle would die and I would be alone.

  Blake was surely amused at the situation, he just had a light grin due to my over-active thoughts and the crease that wouldn't leave between my eyebrows. 

  His gentle touch, the comfy bed, and the alcohol in my system made the perfect environment for me to fall asleep.

----------