Hidden Pain

Madison POV
The do over date couldn't have gone better. The night after I got home could've. My dad hit me again. Not as bad as usual, but it still hurt.

I awoke the next morning with giant bruise under my left eye spreading over my left cheek. God it was noticeable. I looked in my cabinets searching for my make-up. I couldn't be out. I prayed to God I had enough to hide the bruise. I found it hidden deep behind everything in the bottom bathroom cabinet. I carefully covered the bruise.

After I looked got dressed and looked presentable I went to the Curtis house. When I got there Two-Bit was on the couch watching Mickey Mouse with Pony, and Dally was eating chocolate cake. I guessed Darry had already left for work. Same for Steve and Soda I guess. I didn't know where Johnny was.

Dally, Two-Bit, and Ponyboy waved at me. I waved back and went to sit by Pony. "Hey! What's up Maddie?" Pony said. I smiled, "Not much. How about you?" He chuckled, "Darry gettin' on my case about school and track. The usual." Two-Bit nudged Pony, "Ya know he loves you, Pony. He is only trying to make you a better student and athlete." I smiled, "Yeah, Ponyboy. He loves you." Pony shrugged, "Yeah, true, but he never yells at Soda." I sighed, "Soda? Man, Soda don't need no help. Soda may be younger then Darry, but he can take care of himself!" Pony smiled some. I knew I was right and so did Pony. Two-Bit smiled and Dally just nodded with a mouthful of chocolate cake.

Me, Dally, Two-Bit, and Pony were heading to the DX to hang out with Soda and Steve. On the way there it started to rain. It was raining pretty hard. I felt my make-up start to smear and run. I prayed that my no one would notice the bruise, but, with my great luck, Pony noticed, "Hey Madison, how'd you get that bruise?" Dallas and Two-bit looked at my bruise. Dally looked me in the eye, "It was you dad wasn't it?" I bit my lip and nodded. Dallas's strong arms wrapped around me. I heard Dallas whisper, "How many times have you hid your bruises with make-up?" I felt tears well up in my eyes, "As many times as I have hid my pain with a smile. Way too much." Dally quit hugging me and tilted my face toward his, "You don't have to hide this from me, Madison." I blinked back more tears. Dallas knew I was hurting, so he leaned in and kissed me gently. He tasted like cigarettes and chocolate cake. I smiled and kissed back. Pony finally spoke up, "Do you, uh, wan us to go on ahead?" Dallas pulled back from the kiss, "Sure we'll catch up later."

As soon as the left Dallas looked at me sadly, "Why did you hid the bruises from me?" I looked at the ground, "I- I don't know..." "There has to be a reason." "I just didn't want anyone to know." "Madison remember the time your dad beat you and left you outside all night?" I flinched at the memory, "Y-yeah..." "Madison everyone seen you that day. They know what he did- does- to you." I sighed. I knew he was right so I didn't even bother saying anything. I could quit hiding it now. It felt good to have less to worry about.