|0|

The moon is as ancient as time itself 

and still no older than a month. 

I am trying to learn from her the art of growing, 

without ever losing my child within. 

~p a v a n a 

***

Leaves fell against the pushing wind as the force of the breeze rustled them aside.

Collecting and creating a pathway for the three figures as they made their way out of the forest.

They emerged in a backyard. A clearing surrounding them as the woods pressed on their backs and a great house loomed ahead.

The tallest- and oldest of the three- his role obvious as he stopped to let the two small children catch their breaths, looked around.

His deep blue eyes glanced up at a window that could be seen opened to the second floor, a small smile playing on his lips that the two children were unaware of.

He turned back to them then, his smile growing into one of deep affection as he watched the boy regain his breath first.

"Did you like it, Vincent?"

The boy nodded his head vigorously, his floppy brown hair falling just short of his eyes.

The man turned to the girl and frowned slightly that she still had not regained her breath.

"I- liked it- to, dad," she said, her voice catching slightly on the words as she fought to make them clear.

"That's good, Soraya."

He walked over and patted her head, the black hair and deep blue eyes matching his own as he bent down to be eye level with the two.

"Everything I showed you- was pack land. Alba Rosa pack land. And the Alpha protects that land."

"And you're the Alpha!" Soraya said, her eyes shining in excitement as she looked at her brother to take in his reaction.

The boy though had a slight scowl on his face, "duh idiot."

Soraya's excitement though was not deteriorated by the lack of Vincent's.

She turned her eager eyes back to her father, "when I grow up, I want to be Alpha!"

The man smiled at the child, "really?"

The girl though was interrupted by a sudden jerk, as the boy pushed her, sending her body falling to the ground.

The man watched the interaction, a slight frown on his face as he quickly barked out, "Vincent!"

The boy flinched at the angry tone but continued glaring at the girl.

"You can't be Alpha. I'm the one who will be Alpha."

"But I want to be Alpha too!" she protested, rubbing the side she had hit in her falling.

"Enough."

Both children looked down from the commanding tone in their father's voice.

"Vincent, your sister can be Alpha if she wants to be."

The boy opened his mouth to protest but his father cut him off, "it's a challenge. Whoever challenges and beats the Alpha in a fight is Alpha. I did it with your grandpa as he did with his father."