|32|

We humans are so tortured

By not properly guessing

What will make us happy

-Atticus

***

I sit in the clinic hallway, staring at the tiled floor.

Grandma walks out, her face blank as she slowly sits next to me.

My foot bounces on the floor, waiting impatiently for her words.

"Well?"

She jumps, startled out of her own reality as she enters mine.

"What?"

"Dad...how is he...?"

Grandma stands, looking down at me. "Soraya. I've seen a lot of challenges. But never...I never have seen such an underhanded way..."

I hold my hand out before she can say anymore.

"There are no rules in the fight. That much is clear. Only the ones people have constructed in their minds and made to believe that should be followed. I did nothing wrong."

"You really think that?"

Grandma is looking at me now with new eyes. Eyes that stare down at me in silent disbelief.

I stand, glaring down at her.

"The world is not black and white Grandma. It doesn't have to be done the way you see it. No. I did nothing wrong. So don't make me think that I'm the one at fault."

I move closer, "tell me how dad is already."

Grandma takes a wary step back, "he'll recover. He's healing already. Vincent also."

I scoff, "I don't care about Vincent."

Grandma's eyes harden, "Soraya somethings wrong with-,"

"I know that. I can smell something off about him. But it's not my fault."

I take a step back, crossing my arms to shield myself away from her blue eyes that match my own.

"I'm Alpha."

"Yes."

Grandma's tone has me looking at her, taking her in anger and mistrust.

"Are you proud?"

She sharply inhales, a defeated look entering her eyes, "not like this Soraya. It shouldn't have been like this."

She turns around, walking down the hall to reenter dad's room.

I stand there, alone, staring at the empty space.

I turn then, my steps to aggressive as I walk out of the clinic. Henry is there, waiting for me. A tan wolf sits beside him. They both are leaned against the side of the building.

"Soraya," I turn at Henry's call, but my eyes land on the tan wolf. He looks up at me in concern, those grey eyes evaluating my face as I turn away to look up at Henry.

"What?"

"There are some things we need to establish now that you are in charge of the Alba Rosa pack."

I still, "like what?"

Henry only smiles, "you need to call and let the other packs know. They have to be made aware of the change in leadership. And you have to learn the procedure of the pack."