|23|

Who we are and who we 

need to be to survive

are two very different things 

***

The run had done nothing to clear the tension that seemed knotted in the back of my neck.

My habits of the wolf were being shoved away and stored. I pulled out instead the actions I had done before leaving the pack. Dusting them off for reuse.

Rising before the waking of the world and watching the ascending sun.

I walk inside the pack house, a mood of anger slowly wrapping around my thoughts for what I knew I had to do later.

I stop short at the sight of Orion in the kitchen.

The image of him almost took my breath away as he stood over the counter, a look of deep concentration on his face while stirring mixture that was contained in a large bowl.

He wore a grey hoodie, low ride sweatpants and – a pink apron.

He immediately looks up at my approach and moodily glares at me before going back to his stirring.

I'm frozen in both shock and confusion.

Sandra chooses that moment to turn around and notice me.

"Good morning dearie."

I nod stiffly back at her.

"Did you have a nice run? This one," she pokes Orion in the back, "came down in a fit when he couldn't find you. I had to calm him down by letting him stir the pancakes... though," she looks down to inspect the contents of Orion's bowl. "They've been done for a while now..."

I watch as Orion's cheeks slowly start to match the color of his apron.

I sit down at the kitchen island that overlooks their work. 

"I run in the morning," I explain to Orion.

He still avoids my eyes, focusing instead his full attention on stirring the pancake batter that now had gone flat.

I smile at the sight and watch as Sandra tries and fails to get the bowl away from him.

Leo walks down the stairs, a rare sight for him to be up so early. He jumps back, startled at the appearance of Orion. A low yell leaves him, making Orion turn around to look at him.

"Soraya what-,"

"This is Orion. You met him yesterday remember?"

Leo's eyes and mouth are wide as they take in the wild image of Orion. The scent of silent danger that could just faintly be traced back to him.

Leo cautiously moves around him to sit next to me on a stool.

"Good morning."

Leo jumps at the deep sound that vibrates from Orion. The noise only sent a thrill of heat through me. Pink aprons...who knew...

"Morning..."

Leo and I both watch as Sandra tries, again and again, to get Orion to give up his mixing bowl. Eventually, he does but with great regret written all over his face.

"The pancakes are flat now," Sandra's eyes speak murder as she turns to glare at Orion. He only shrugs.

I turn to Leo while the others are occupied, "can you watch Orion for me?"