|58|

Does the weight leave your chest?

Do you no longer feel suffocated,Restrained?

Can you finally speak?
Do your words come out bold and honest
without any guilt?

What about the restlessness?
Do you no longer feel an unceasing need for adventure,
Because you already have it?

Are the chains gone?
Did you finally break free of your cage
and gain independence?

Tell me
I need to know,
what is it like to be free?

-g.s.

*   *   *

Grandma nods as she listens to me, her eyes becoming serious as she takes in my words.

"I thought something was wrong."

I don't look away from her gaze as she meets my eyes.

She smiles, reaching out to take my hand.

"Congratulations Soraya."

I swallow thickly, my emotions everywhere. But I keep them in check, knowing Andrew was in the room next to us. I had whispered my words, Grandma's knowing smile and glance towards the door telling me she understood.

"I need to call Jay..."

I stare at her in confusion, "Why would you tell him?"

Grandma looks at me, shaking her head, "I can't leave you now. Not when you're like this."

Like this.

"I'll be fine."

The words come out harsher than I intended them to.

Grandma only smiles down at me.

"Jay misses me. I miss him too- we've been apart for too long. If it weren't for Leo he would have already left Alba Rosa to come here...no matter how he feels about this place."

I raise my head at the mention of Leo's name.

Grandma sees the question in my eye and looks away.

"Leo may be coming here also. It will be good for him. There's a big caseload and I could use his help."

It's a vague statement, making me only want to ask more questions.

Grandma shakes her head though, "Now's not the time Soraya. Patience. Jay, Lilah and Uncle Mark know what they are doing over there."

Grandma calls Grandjay like she said she would. And then I do as she tells me to. I wait.

The days continue as if nothing else has happened. Nothing unusual has occurred.

Bram comes out from his shadows to join me at breakfast. He says nothing and walks away in silence. It's a peaceful silence though. I don't want to point out to Orion how similar they are. It would only make him upset. But watching Bram reminds me of the wolf I found in the forest those long, long months ago.

The pack continues on, building and growing. The members seem freer. More alive and hopeful. I wonder vaguely if word is spreading through the area that a new Alpha is in charge here. If other packs are whispering to their Alpha's about the shift in power.

The daughter of the Alba Rosa Alpha- do you know her? The one who challenged her father for leadership, was rejected from the training camp, and used underhanded methods to become Alpha- that one. Yes, the one who killed that Alpha's son. Yes, that one.